Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Falchion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Windlass Falchion         Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of putting together a WotR era Billman/Glaiveman kit, and for my secondary weapon I'm planning on using either a sword or falchion and a buckler. Currently the only 2 swords I have are a Hanwei Practical hand and a half and a Hanwei practical single hand, neither of these swords would fit well with my kit, although I might have to use the single hand if I cant find anything else.

I was wondering if anyone here owns or has handled the Windlass steelcrafts medieval falchion?

Shown here at kultofathena: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...l+Falchion

The grip looks a bit slippery and not really historically accurate, but the price is pretty good. Since I am younger than most people in this hobby I cannot afford those really awesome swords by Arms and Armour and Albion (SOMEDAY!!!), so I have to limit myself to the more inexpensive swords like this one.

Please post if you can tell me anything about it's handling, quality and even historical accuracy as that is a big point for me. Also if you know of a more suitable falchion for a similar price, if you would let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Happy

Thanks for helping me. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Nathaniel C.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've actually been really tempted to buy this myself but never did. In my opinion it's one of the most historically accurate looking swords Windless makes. I must admit I've never handled it. You may want to redo the grip as you mentioned it doesn't look very good. There are many tutorials online for that. I would also bring the polish down to a nice satin which will make it look much more "high end."

The main reason why I never did this project is the guard slot, where the shoulders of the blade rest in the guard. All windless swords have a rather obviously modern guard slot. It doesn't bother me that it's larger that the blade but rather that it's obviously machine made. If this doesn't bother you then it doesn't matter or you could probably file it a bit by hand to lessen the modern appearance.

If you haven't read these pages check them out too.

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mrl_falc.html

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/falchion.html

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=21167

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18095
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That falchion is loosely based on the Thorpe falchion and similar pieces that date from well before the Wars of the Roses. The Thorpe falchion dates to the late 13th/early 14th century.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Robert,

I have one.

It looks fine (as in the picture) and handles fine in a solid workman sort of way. I recall there was a review of one at SBG, which had the following critiques: uncomfortable grip (feels fine to me), loose guard (mine had a slight bit of play, which was fixed by a tiny shim between blade and cross), and the narrow side of the blade twisted a bit out of shape when struck against some extreme object, as those SBG guys like to do (I can't comment on this, since I have never cut with mine).

Overall, not perfect, but I think you'd have to pay a lot more to get a better one.

By the way, mine is like new and I don't really need it. In fact I meant to sell it but just never got around to it. So if you want to save some money (and you're old enough by local laws to buy one) PM me.

-JD
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Chad points out, the Windlass Falchion is too old for a mid/late 15th Century infantry kit. Of course its possible that you might have seen an old passed down falchion in the hands of someone but it wouldn't be typical. I think a more fitting type of sword for a 15th Century Billman would be this sword from Del Tin:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ntry+Sword

Though it is more expensive than the windlass offering.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the links nathaniel, I actually stubmled upon the myArmoury review after I posted this topic, probably because it was labled as german falchion instead of medieval.

If I got it, I would definetly use that vinegar/salt mixture mentioned in the review, and probably rewrap the grip aswell.

Too bad its not exactly WotR period...its still a nice lookin blade though...

J.D. thanks for the offer, I am of legal age and i'll consider it. Happy

And david, I saw that sword last night and agree with you...but $380 is quite a bit to me. I might be able to buy it, but it would take me a couple months to save up for it.

Maybe I could explain away the windlass falchion as passed down? The question is would a sword really have been passed down 150 years in a commoners family? Hmm...this requires contemplation.

Thanks for all your help guys. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:
Maybe I could explain away the windlass falchion as passed down? The question is would a sword really have been passed down 150 years in a commoners family? Hmm...this requires contemplation.

That depends on how poor the rest of your kit is. If you have up to date WotR gear and just the sword is outdated, it may seem kinda out of place...if your entire kit is outdated then you could explain it away as your a poor chap who got grand-da's hand me down. However if your entire kit is outdated, then your not really in WotR kit anymore now are ya Wink . Well another option for a billman side arm is to go with a long dagger instead of a sword. The english cutler at tod's stuff has a decent rondel dagger for such for 99 GBP...which is about the cost of the windlass. Or you could contract ben potter about commissioning a dagger from his new budget line, which could be around the cost of the windlass as well. Don't worry, he has a very fast turn around time if your in a rush to get the dagger in your hand.

http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/theenglishcutler/k...knives.htm

http://www.seekyee.com/privateerarmoury/
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Del Tin sword, bought from The Royal Armouries in Leeds. Whilst the grip is a bit plain-jane it handles well for a rebated sword, matched with a Tods Stuff scabbard and suspension it is a great basis for a 15C English man at arms.
Phil
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the links P. Cha, i've actually been looking for an appropriate dagger aswell, and the english cutler's 1st rondel looks like the exact thing i've been picturing in my head. Big Grin

For my side arm, i'd really like to stick to a sword/falchion and a buckler though, i've always thought bucklers were cool.

I think the kit im putting together is pretty up-to-date for wotR, heres my basic look:

-Jack
-Jack chains
-2 piece breatplate
-Sallet helmet
-Basic gothic gauntlets
-Glaive
-Buckler
-Sword/Falchion*
-Rondel dagger*
(* equals stuff i havnt made up my mind about)

Most of its GDFB due to their inexpensive stuff, and availability to me.

Thanks for your take on the Del Tin sword phil, I have to admit if I had the cash i'd get that one...now I need to go check prices on Tod's stuff scabbards... Razz

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Falchion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic