Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendel Soft Kits (Tunic questions...) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Mon 06 Dec, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Vendel Soft Kits (Tunic questions...)         Reply with quote

I'm trying to put together a soft kit that would work well for a Germanic tribesman (Anglo-Saxon, Continental Saxon, Frank, or Scandinavian), and I want it to be as versatile as possible. As such, I was hoping to be able to span a couple different points in history with as few pieces of different kit as possible. The time periods I'm interested in are 1st Century, 5th Century-Vendel Period, and 9th Century.

For the 1st Century kit, I already have a tunic with split-side construction, so that's covered.

For the 9th Century kit, I already have plans to make a gusseted tunic.

But for the 5th Century and Vendel Period, which were they wearing? When did Germanic tunics make the transition from split-side, no gussets/gores in sides (like the Thorsberg tunic) to later Viking tunics that had gusseted inserts?
Peter Cowan

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: vendel soft kits         Reply with quote

I am bumping this topic in the hopes that someone out there can help us.
Also was tablet woven braid used as decoration?
I also just about have my kit ready, except for a tunic, and am particularly interested
in 5th to 8th Century.
R Lister

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do 520-680.

For men there is very little clothing evidence. I've based my kit on the press plates from sutton hoo and the vendal graves.

The bits that change lots are the belts and the adornments, plus weapon shapes and helemts. The scabbard furniture changes markedly too.

A sixth century belt is very different from a 9th century one, and the seax has a differnet profile, the sword has different furniture, and the spear is a different shape.

So the expensive bits are the bits you've got to change. The hem lines of the tunics go up the later you get, but you can blag that with bunching up over the belt.

I use thorsburg trousers for my trousers, but i bleave the guys from Ulthednar have a different pattern, I may have made that up.

For girls due to the fact that there are more jewlery finds the clothes change alot, but i cant remember how.

For me to do Alfred the great i'd need a new helm, a new belt, a new shield, a new spear, new seax, new sword. And then i'd be a bit of a hodgepodge, as my 6th century stuff is quite high status, but i'd be low status in the 9th.

There are some realy good bog finds for the early stuff, but you said that you'd got that right?

I use ridged headle weave for my kit, as i've yet to master the tablets. The Sutton Hoo press plates show the warriors with what could be tablet weave borders to there war coats.

My plan is to make another war coat with embrodery round the edges and put a very thick (3"-4") tablet weave border on the other.

Higher status finds had gold woven into the braid. That is very posh, and very pretty.

I hope that helps.

this is me in my soft kit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R-mvZ783...directlink
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Myles,

I'm guessing you've already seen these, but there are some nice kit pictures in the Show Your Germanic Warrior Impression thread over on Roman Army Talk.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott

Last edited by Matt Corbin on Fri 10 Dec, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Fri 10 Dec, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a near contemporary find from a chieftain's burial at Högom where enough fabric has survived to make a somewhat credible reconstruction of the dress. Unfortunately I can't find any good images of the reconstructed clothing, but there's a pattern and description here:

http://www.sca.org.au/ynys_fawr/as_articles/a...doc_52.PDF
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent info guys! Thanks for your help.

It appears that the Högom tunic has one side gusset, which may suggest that by this time the idea was beginning to be fashionable.

Matt, I found the website of the guy you posted about. http://www.die-bajuwaren.de/Wir_ueber_uns_frame.htm There is a page on his tunics, which by my understanding do have gussets. This is based on graphic evidence as opposed to actual finds, but it is based on an early 7th Century impression. As I'm after a Saxon invader (or just post invasion) in England, this is a couple of centuries too late.

However, based on this evidence and the gusset in the Högom tunic, I'd say that it is possible gusseted tunics were around in the late 5th/ 6th Century. I'm going for gussets so I can use it as my Viking Age tunic as well. Laughing Out Loud When I get everything in my kit put together, I'll post some pictures.

I currently have:
-Cloak
-Linen under-tunic
-Linen pants
-Wool "socks" based on Thorsberg pants
-Tablet woven belt (minus the fittings)
-Sword (minus pommel cap)
-Leg wraps

I am currently working on:
-Belt fittings
-Pommel cap
-Wool pants
-Wool outer-tunic (with gussets!)
-Wool hood or cap
-Sword baldric
-Misc other gear (toilet kits, camp gear, other stuff I'm forgetting, etc)
-Spear
-Seax
-Shield
-Scabbard
-Shoes
David Clark

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My fiancee got my belt end and buckle for my Anglo-Saxon kit from here: http://www.armourandcastings.com/index.php?_a...p;catId=13 and I love 'em.
K J Seago

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

is there any chance we could see your sword??? very interested in swords from that period.
have you checked out Ulfhenar for ideas?

just another student of an interesting subject, Happy
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Sat 11 Dec, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

K J Seago wrote:
is there any chance we could see your sword??? very interested in swords from that period.
have you checked out Ulfhenar for ideas?
Sure. As soon as I get some pictures made I'll post them here. Don't get your hopes up though. It's not pattern welded, nor does it have elaborate fittings. Just a rough and ready piece with a "campaign finish"... I'm hoping to cast a pommel cap with ring for it soon. We'll see how that goes.

And yes, I have seen Ulfhednar. It seems to be the group for this period. I seem to remember seeing both kinds of tunics there too but can't be sure. I'll have to check them out again.
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In addition to Ulfhednar, this group from France does very accurate portrayals from the period. Unfortunately the website is in French (which I don't speak or read) but the pictures speak for themselves.

http://www.museedestempsbarbares.fr/

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:
In addition to Ulfhednar, this group from France does very accurate portrayals from the period. Unfortunately the website is in French (which I don't speak or read) but the pictures speak for themselves.

Thanks for sharing. But apparently their site is available in English as well, just press the British flag- icon
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Dec, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
Matt Corbin wrote:

Thanks for sharing. But apparently their site is available in English as well, just press the British flag- icon

Parts of it are available in English, though unfortunately not all.

- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Thu 23 Dec, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am an amateur smith, but since I only made the hilt for this sword I don't think this post violates myArmoury's policy. Moderator, if this does violate policies towards makers and manufacturers, feel free to remove this post. I understand completely.

That being said, here are a couple of pictures of my sword (Behmer Type IV minus the pommel cap I'm working on):

Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Thu 23 Dec, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's kind of hard to see with all that snow Wink But that doesn't look half bad at all. I'm looking forward to seeing her completed.
- R. Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Vendel Soft Kits (Tunic questions...)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic