Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tods Stuff does stocking fillers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Tods Stuff does stocking fillers         Reply with quote

Hi All,

Well the holiday season is here again and so I will do a mamoth picture post of available items and maybe something can get on your wish list.

Obviously these pictures cannot really show detail, but if there is something you are interested in please email me on tod@todsstuff.co.uk and I will send you better pictures.

All prices are given in £Sterling; for US Dollar price multiply by 1.6 so £1 = $1.60, for Euro price multiply by 1.25, so £1 = 1.25 Euro. I accept Paypal.

Shipping will be £8 UK, £12 Europe, £15 US/Canada £18 Rest of World.

The picture called rondels, from left to right they are £180,220,250,170,170,170,170. Bottom rondel is 170

The picture called Bollocks, all are £120 except the triple which is £240

The picture called mil; top is 330, left top to bottom left 300,380,240. Top right to bottom right 210, 240, 200

The picture called eating. Top row from left to right 135, 85, 200, 85, 85, 80. bottom row from left to right 135, 95, 80, 70, 70, 70

The picture called cooks; Top row from left to right 250, 190, 240. bottom row from left to right 260, 250, 850

I hope something is of interest

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 190.59 KB
mil.jpg

Attachment: 187.85 KB
bollocks.jpg

Attachment: 166.14 KB
rondels.jpg

Attachment: 191.07 KB
eating.jpg

Attachment: 182.55 KB
cooks.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And the last couple of bits.

A Bec I saw in the Herman Historica catalogue and had to make and whilst I was carving the wax a customer suggested it would be nice for a linstock, so I made one of those as well.

On the Bec the blade is EN9 modified, which is about .75% carbon and the fist is bronze and the shaft is ash that has been blackened. £250

On the linstock the fist is bronze, the studs brass and the shaft ash. £180

Postage on these items will be £20UK, $60, 45 Euro

Thanks

Tod

Attachment: 172.24 KB
bec whole.JPG

Attachment: 175.96 KB
bec head.JPG

Attachment: 169.72 KB
Linstock.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, the pain of wanting.

Those cook's sets are great to see getting made. So neat. So neat.

Of course, there's so much here that grabs my eye...

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So tempting. . . .

But a quick question Tod, or for those who may know the answer to said inquiry.

Does your makers mark shaped like like a segmented circle denote the English Cutler line? Some pices have this and some do not i.e. my custom pieces. Is this your universal practice?

Again Tod, so many of this pieces show off your skill and attention to detail. BRAVO!
Mark T

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod: That Bauernwehr and by-knife is just gorgeous! I wonder if I started believing in Santa again if he'd become real ... does it work like that? Big Grin
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Does your makers mark shaped like like a segmented circle denote the English Cutler line? Some pices have this and some do not i.e. my custom pieces. Is this your universal practice?

Not Tod, but the EC line does bear this mark, as do some of his custom pieces (but not all in my experience).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh the incredible pain of having all my expendable income tied up in a custom sword order!!! The big seax in the top picture is absolutely taunting me Eek!

I really hope someone buys that one soon so I can maintain some pretense of willpower.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:
Oh the incredible pain of having all my expendable income tied up in a custom sword order!!! The big seax in the top picture is absolutely taunting me Eek!

I really hope someone buys that one soon so I can maintain some pretense of willpower.

Want a better look? Check out this topic.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Dec, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Matt Corbin wrote:

Want a better look? Check out this topic.

Are you trying to torment me? Laughing Out Loud

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thankfully I was able to get one of Tod's Bauernwehr and by-knife sets second hand before these posted up so I'm much better able to delay the gratification that buying one of these would bring. In an effort not to help everyone else struggling with temptation, I will say that the work is better in person than in the photos. Always a small detail or three that you just don't capture or notice in a picture.

In my experience the larger items are very substantial pieces that are well crafted but not machine perfect, which is nice. You can tell its something hand worked by a person with skill who cares about what he's doing. If you're on the fence about one of these, you better buy it before somebody else does! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sat 04 Dec, 2010 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johan Gemvik

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice as always.
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 04 Dec, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your support and glad I can tempt some of you!

Jeremy V Krause wrote
Quote:

For Tods Stuff pieces my practice is as follows.

My personal mark is a very medieval one and is the circle cut into 4. I should of course apply this to every piece that leaves my shop but somehow this does not always happen. Original Viking age pieces may have a makers name or motto, but not a mark and I have never got round to getting a viking age name, so I don't mark them at all.

Norman era stuff from 1066 to about 1230 were usually not marked, so I don't mark these either.

1230 through to 1650 I try to mark, but sometimes I forget in the heat of the moment. Most medieval and rennaissance pieces have my mark, but not all.

Post 1650 the style of mark changes again to a more text based form and I do not have a mark for this, so generally I do not mark items post 1650.

Pieces I master and use for casting will, if appropriate, carry my mark, so for instance the bec shown above carries my mark, while the Medieval mace shown on the English cutler pages did not seem appropriate to carry a mark, so I have not applied one.

Perhaps it was a mistake, but I use my same mark for English Cutler as for Tods Stuff and I probably should differentiate between the two however historically I have not done this, so both my custom work as Tods Stuff and my standard offering as The English Cutler carry the same mark. All English cutler knives, regardless of era carry my mark.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aha! the 3rd sax down , on the right now lives in my knife box Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Super work from Tod as always.
Phil
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Sun 05 Dec, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Melhop wrote:
Aha! the 3rd sax down , on the right now lives in my knife box Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Super work from Tod as always.
Phil

Congratulations! THat's a very handsome seax. Tod does great work with these.
Abe Zettek

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since shear steel has been popping up in the forums lately, I thought I'd better make a comment here despite the fact that I have no pictures yet.
The top seax in the first picture is now in my possession. As always seems to be the case with Tod's work, it is really first class quality! The blade is shear steel made by Owen Bush, and I could not be happier with it. It has a more traditional quality to it, and looks fantastic, with enough 'figure' to just make it noticeable that it is made of shear steel. The copper and silver inlay done by Tod (I presume?) adds another beautiful element to the piece, although I might be biased since wire inlaying is my absolute favorite feature of ancient arms.
The handle of boxwood is simple, but well formed and proportioned. It feels good to hold, and has a bit of 'burl-looking' figure to it in some places. The blade appears to be strongly epoxied into place, and has held up to moderate use thus far with zero issues.
As good as the seax itself is, the sheath is quite something to behold! The brown leather has nice incised patterns along its length that add just the right amount of visual detail. These lines are complemented by the simple stamping along the bronze edge. The seax fits perfectly inside - not too tight, not too loose. The bronze rings for suspension are nicely done, and now hold two leather loops for belt attachment.
The piece has taken some long treks through frigid temperatures and blasting snow since I've had it, and it is still as good as new. I've wanted a seax from Tod's stuff for a while now and have admired Mr. Bush's blades, and so am privileged to have had the opportunity to finally purchase such a fine piece from two top-notch craftsmen.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Abe,

So yours is the one with the three twisted inlayed lines? That's a really attractive seax! I really like the long handle length.

I share your love of inlay on historical pieces.
Abe Zettek

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy, yes, mine is that one. A simple, but really nice inlay. The handle is something I like too - it is indeed very long, but gives a good feel. I find it allows for a wider range of grips, so if you need to chop for whatever reason, holding it further back makes the job easier, while finer tasks are best done while holding nearer the blade.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tods Stuff does stocking fillers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic