19th c cavalry flintlock pistol
I recently picked this up at auction and could do with some help as I normally collect swords. Catalogue description was:

Napoleonic War Period British Cavalry Flintlock Pistol.
This example with a plain 9 inch smoothe bore barrel. Military lockplate, stamped with gunsmiths details of Sargant and Warranted to the tang.

Very large bore (7 bore?), 20mm inside diameter!

I suspect it may be a bit later than Napoleonic, say 1830 ish. Can any one help with dating and details of the maker 'Sargant and Sons'? There appear to be two proof marks on the side of the barrel but these are too far gone to decipher' Thank you.[/img]

Attachment: 35.43 KB
20101202_48s.jpg

Attachment: 80.9 KB
20101202_44s.jpg

Attachment: 77.06 KB
20101203_1s.jpg

Attachment: 26.63 KB
20101202_40s.jpg

Looks like a Secondary Martial Pistol to me.
Per OldSwords.com:

Sargant & Son, 74 Edmund St., Birmingham, England and 2 Coleman St., London, England: 1835-1838.
"Sargant & Sons" is in De Witt Bailey,Ph.D.'s book " British Board of Ordnance Small Arms Contractors 1689-1840"
Bailey lists -- Sargant & Sons - Birmingham He lists 2 "contracts ( 1836 & 1837 ) They seem to be only for "rough stocks & set uo" (no "finished guns )

IMHO, -
1. Def. not a "issue ( no "Tower proofs" )
2. Stock Style seems to indicate "civilian" as opposed to "military"
3. Poss. made for a person in the cav. ( as a personal weapon ) but ????
4. Do to the "excellent" condition of the stock I also feel it was "restocked," ( the Bbl, & lock plate show a LOT of wear, but the stock does not. :?: Perhaps, the gun was "refurbed" for the customer.??

You may, if you feel comfortable doing it, "pull the Lock". Most often the maker of the lock, marked it.( most likely a one of the prolific Birmingham lock makers.

Any way, a nice gun to have in your "collection" :) :)

Jack.
Jack
Thank you for that. I have just pulled the lock and there is no maker's mark, just a very small, deeply incised X and above a number or something. Looks like I.12. Very small, difficult to see even with a jewellers loupe.
I'm not sure if it has had work done on it . The stock does show dings, dents and wear close up. I do know that the ramrod is a replacement however.

So to sum up; a non issue cavalry patter flintlock pistol dating to the 1830s, made or more accurately assembled and sold by Sargant and Son.
David Cooper wrote:
Jack
Thank you for that. I have just pulled the lock and there is no maker's mark, just a very small, deeply incised X and above a number or something. Looks like I.12. Very small, difficult to see even with a jewellers loupe.
I'm not sure if it has had work done on it . The stock does show dings, dents and wear close up. I do know that the ramrod is a replacement however.

So to sum up; a non issue cavalry patter flintlock pistol dating to the 1830s, made or more accurately assembled and sold by Sargant and Son.

Ahh, what you described is the "mark" . As to whose = ??? I would suggest a Birmingham maker. ( they were the major suppliers of locks ) Sorry to say I do not have info on their all marks. :\ .

IMHO, it is a KEEPER. I ENVY you

Jack

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: