Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Crusader ring (Finger-not armor) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Crusader ring (Finger-not armor)         Reply with quote

Found this little thing; it's a silver copy of an actual crusader ring. I was told only 40 were made to sell freely. Thoughts? I've seen the original and this looks exactly the same-just materials are different.

Very nice. Fit's like a dream and have put it through some tests. Not tarnished. The cross can be impressed into sealing wax though its too small to used as a seal, not it's intention of use. Rating 10-out-of-10 for historical accuracy, look and feel. Very fond of this little ring.

sverð er manni vargr, af bardaga er dýrð, í dauða er dýrð.
Koen de Bruin

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could be interpreted as the 8-'tongued' cross of the Knights Hospitaller.
Other possibility might be the late version of the cross from the Knights Templar (around the time of their disbanding), since the middle is thin and the edgings on the crucifix are on a lesser angle, not 'bending' into the tongues like the Knights Hospitaller cross does.

You know which one it's supposed to be?

it's beautiful! Congratulations! where did you get it?

Coenradt Egidius, the poor monk.

Dominus pascit me et nihil mihi deerit.
nam et si ambulavero in medio umbrae mortis non timebo mala quoniam tu mecum es

the Knights Hospitaller: www.hospitaalridders.nl
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed it oddly enough near a 'hoody' jumper. (As you'll find out) i'm Hospitaller mad (Due to some lineage/ancestry) and saw this black jumper with the white cross and motto around it. It was even sold to me in the little box it sat in. Seem's to have been used but not greatly.

Found it in a little shop which sold 'cult' tee's, jumpers, (Templars, Hospitallers, teutonics etc) and some Masonic stuff (Rep's. obviously) I thought it looked like it represented a Templar cross and not being a fan of them I very nearly left it. On closer inspection one end of the cross is flat..leaving the other three to 'fan out' whether this means something I don't know but it was shown with a picture of the original and it's flawless for detail. Just spot on.

They had another, with three crosses along the band but I liked this one more.

Koen de Bruin

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found some matching rings on archeological websites,

It could be either a knights templar ring from a sergeant (simple footmen), or an archers ring from either orders.
It's not a knights ring, since those were a lot more elaborate and probably made of gold, not silver.

It might be an archers ring, the argument being the shape is in between the normal cross and the archers cross, which consists of 2 crossbow bolts crossed to make the same iconic crusaders cross, with only minor differences from the official one. (The main difference being the tongues on a smaller angle, as I described in my previous post)

The one big difference with archeological rings is that the archeological rings have a solid surface with the cross branded in, instead of the cross coming out of the ring... the sculptural relief is reversed

I've come across a picture with the 3 crosses as well, but found no archeological ring that matched it...
You mean this one?

Coenradt Egidius, the poor monk.

Dominus pascit me et nihil mihi deerit.
nam et si ambulavero in medio umbrae mortis non timebo mala quoniam tu mecum es

the Knights Hospitaller: www.hospitaalridders.nl
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting Happy thank you for the information 'possible' history hehe. Oh i've seen a link which shows the original along with it. But it's for a gold one and unless you have 3337 lying about for a ring then I wasent going to send it :-s

My excuse? the brotherhood has my money, not me, it's not allowed (Not just because I am poor haha)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Crusader ring (Finger-not armor)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic