New Custom Vigil Scabbard
I'd like to share with everyone a recent commission I completed a short while ago. It features a hand shaped wooden core, covered in hand dyed veg-tan calfskin and finished off with hand forged and antiqued buckle, plate etc. The scabbard was a sword-less order....something I prefer not to do, but will do occasionally for international buyers. The scabbard was built to match an Albion Vigil with campaign-worn grip and heavily antiqued fittings (Please excuse the state of my Vigil, it is currently undergoing a bit of a re-gripping). I designed it (hopefully) like the Vigil, to be relatively simple in decoration, with the occasional touch to add a bit of simple elegance.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Dan
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Elegant, simple, handsome. Great work Dan! I really like the buckle! Quite a subtle piece.
Nice crisp work. I'm glad to see it. It reminds me how much I like that Vigil.
Very nice work Dan. I know it's kind of a small thing, but I'm especially fond of your execution of the chape. The simply U shape doesn't get nearly enough air time.
Well done Dan,

Very nice and elegant and I agree about the horse shoe chape.

Cracking work

Tod
Good work!

Attention to detail and all about understated elegance. Very much in style with the sword.

The Vigil is one of those that have a special place in my heart... ;-)
Thanks for making it such a good home.
Thanks everyone for the great comments. Tod and Peter, coming from such talented craftsmen such as yourselves, your praise means a lot! The Vigil is my favorite medieval replica that I've had the pleasure to own (and I've had quite a few ;) ) . Thanks for bringing us such a great model.
Dan
Hey Dan, I absolutely love it. It's plain looking, but in a very good way, and suits the sword beautifully. Your custom buckle and clean line tracing is enough ornamentation for a scabbard of this period and I would choose a similar approach (and I will soon!) when doing a pre XV century scabbard.

Congrats.

Julien

PS: was your leather marked or distressed toward the tip? I'm just wondering about how you got these uneven areas, as I have similar "defects" on my leather hides.

PS2: I see you had the guts to remove your original Albion wrap, something that I could not bring myself to do on my Crecy :)
Thanks Julien,
I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
As far as the mottled effect: It's accomplished through the use of dye. The leather is the same high quality as the rest of the cover, but the dye was applied to achieve an antique or "campaign worn" look to match the grip on the customer's sword.
As far as the grip on my sword: when I complete it, I'll try to remember to post it here.
Thanks again,
Dan

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: