Nostro Swords
Hi, Has anyone had any dealings with Nostro Titus in ZA? He has a really nice Viking Sword on his website. It is a bit hard to send money to him, so I was wondering if anyone had any of his work and what is their view?
Thanks
Robert
Nostro Swords
Of all those Nostro Titus swords I prefer the one pictured below with its impressive leather-wrapped handle ;)
Robert, you seem interested with that blunt Viking sword. Would you like to own it someday?
[ Linked Image ]
I bought a type XVIIIe from Nostro Titus late in 2007. It was on his "available" page at the time in half-finished condition. There are quite a few pictures of it on his "Gallery" page.

I had a little trouble getting responses to emails once or twice and had to re-send them. I don't know what the problem was but I found it frustrating at the time. When I did eventually get responses they were very helpful. He sent me pictures of historical examples as we discussed the finishing details, and in-progress pictures before the project was finished. From the time that he received my payment to the time I received the sword was under three months. (Bear in mind that this sword was already partially finished when I ordered.)

Sending money internationally, changing from one currency to another, is always a little complicated, but sending payment to Nostro Titus was no more complicated than anywhere else I've done business.

The sword did get rejected for shipping once by customs, but Nostro Titus informed me right away, apologized for the delay, and re-shipped the sword. The second time it arrived without difficulty, so he must have satisfied whatever regulations customs required. (Although the customs people did open and inspect the package and didn't re-pack it properly. They taped the sword directly to its support board rather than re-wrapping it in newspaper first. The packing tape left glue mess on the blade, but it cleaned off easily with acetone.)

I was, and still am, very pleased with the quality of his work. The sword is very attractive and feels very light and balanced in hand. I definitely consider it a good purchase. Based on my experience, I can vouch for him as a skilled craftsman and honest businessman.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: