The Kris Cutlery Ballock dagger?
Is it a historically plausible design? Like for mid-14th century?
(I'm not good with medieval knife chronology)

[ Linked Image ]
Have a look at our spotlight articles on the ballock dagger and of the Scottish dirk. They both discuss dudgeon daggers.
The hilt at least looks to me to be an amalgamation of two pieces that are depicted in the spotlight article on ballock daggers. Both pieces are in the same grouping of daggers. Not sure about the blade though. If the blade bothers you i bet it would be pretty simple to find either a bare blade or a fairly inexpensive dagger with a better blade that you could mount on this handle. It has a good price i will say.
Yeah, I noticed a few that resembled it.
I'm sure they were from later period than 14th century, though it still might work fo that time, there looks to have been a lot of varity.
I'm just not sure I like the sheath, though. Looks something you'd keep a toothbrush in.
The sheath is absolutely a throw-away.
Agreed. No question of it. :eek:
That hilt has more in common with dudgeon daggers than anything in the 14th century.

I used to own one of these. It's not poorly made, just not very historic (especially for a 14th-15th century piece), from the shapings overall to the choice of wood.
I agree, the hilt is not historically relevant, (and the sheath would be more suitable for an umbrella...).
Chad Arnow wrote:
That hilt has more in common with dudgeon daggers than anything in the 14th century.

I used to own one of these. It's not poorly made, just not very historic (especially for a 14th-15th century piece), from the shapings overall to the choice of wood.

Doesn't the ballock dagger feature mention ebony as a used wood?
Jojo Zerach wrote:
Doesn't the ballock dagger feature mention ebony as a used wood?

Yes, it does. But that doesn't mean that it was commonly used in every era or locale or by people of every social stratus. :) Ebony grows most often in places other than Europe (warmer places). In the Middle Ages, it likely would have had to have been imported. Looking back at that entry in the spotlight, I'd have to see if there are any examples that use ebony or if that's a mis-statement in the article.

Other woods show up with more frequency and might be more appropriate. Wood that has been stained/dyed/painted black may have been used, so the colour may not be off. I just think there are better, more historically defensible choices.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: