Photographing your collection
It was a beautiful day here in Virginia and I took the opportunity to take some photos of pieces from my Scottish kit. I'm not much of a photographer, but I do like having pictures of my gear, and since my collection is always evolving, I seem to stay constantly behind in my photographs. Anyway, I was pleased with how these shots turned out, and thought I would share them. I greatly enjoy seeing photos of other's collections, so feel free to add your own photos to this thread.

Chris

Attachment: 118.94 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 126.63 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 119.24 KB
[ Download ]
Thanks Chris! I always enjoy good sword-based eye candy!
That's great stuff Chris. Please show us more.
Well done Chris and your photographic skills are just fine...

cheers,

Bill

ps was indeed a lovely day here in the valley...
A couple more shots of the same gear...

Attachment: 124.71 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 113.44 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 133.25 KB
[ Download ]
Great photos Chris. Your entire collection is terrific. Your replica John Allan is the best! :D

Where did you get the sporran from? Also, who made that terrific scabbard for your baskethilt?

Thanks,
Todd

Last edited by Todd Salazar on Wed 01 Dec, 2010 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
That is a nice kit you have put some good work in to it. What period is the kit for?

I would post some pictures of my "kit" such as it is but right now it consists of mostly anachronistic pieces that kind of work. well its starting to get there.

One last question were did you get the blue bonnet from?
Todd Salazar wrote:
Great photos Chris. Your entire collection is terrific. Your replica John Allan is the best! :D

Where did you get the sporran from? Also, who made that terrific scabbard for your baskethilt?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd -- thanks for your kind words. The sporran was made by Fergusson Britt. His sporrans can be purchased through this link: http://giftshop.scottishtartans.org/artisan_collection.htm

The blade and scabbard of my broadsword came from Donnie Shearer (aka, the Mad Piper). The hilt is by ElJay Erickson.

Chris
Joel Minturn wrote:
That is a nice kit you have put some good work in to it. What period is the kit for?

I would post some pictures of my "kit" such as it is but right now it consists of mostly anachronistic pieces that kind of work. well its starting to get there.

One last question were did you get the blue bonnet from?

Joel -- my kit is for the first half of the 18th century -- specifically, the 1745 Jacobite Uprising.

Can't remember who made my bonnet. I've had it for several years. However, I just purchased another bonnet I like even better. I got it from: http://www.historicalcaps.net/page7.htm The first one I ordered was too large for me -- not the headband, but the bonnet itself. I looked like a big blue mushroom with it on. However, Gloria at Historical Caps was very accomodating to let me exchange it for one made to my specifications. She made the new cap in less than a week and the quality is OUTSTANDING! I cannot say enough good things about working with Gloria or her craftsmanship. I would highly recommend her work over anything else I have seen.

Chris
Chris...

I always enjoy seeing your Scottish kit. You have some nice things. I frequent the Scottish Tartans Museum and am friends with Matt and Ronan. My wife has some Scottish themed paintings on consignment there now.

They usually have a nice inventory of Sporrans on hand and a lot of other interesting stuff. When we vacationed in Franklin in July I had a chance to look at a couple of rare books they had just obtained including an original copy of Drummond's Ancient Scottish Weapons. They also have a nice pair of early 19th c. pistols on display that belonged to an officer in a Scottish Regiment. I have some photos of them which I will have to resize to post here and will try to do so soon.

Anyone of the Tartan persuasion who has not visited the museum should make it a point to do so. There are some pretty good places to eat in Franklin as well as a huge antique mall which usually has a few antique weapons for sale.

Last edited by Lin Robinson on Wed 01 Dec, 2010 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Here are the pistols I mentioned earlier. Ronan and I actually took the glass case off the display last year but I did not have my camera with me at the time. This year we decided not to try to remove the case. I do not remember the markings on the pistol and for once did not write them down. Any way, they are nice pistols.

Attachment: 31.83 KB
TM Scottish Pistols.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: