Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wearing a federschwert? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Norbert Keller

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Wearing a federschwert?         Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am opening this topic, because I would like to see your opinions about wearing a federschwert. Our team is switching to use federschwerts at our events, instead of normal blunt swords.
I know, that sword is for training originally too, but do you know historical source about attaching it to the belt? How does it's scabbard looks like -if there exists? How to fix it? I know, how it looks at normal swords, and how to attach them to the belt,etc, but I havent found sources for feders, or should it be the same?
Its quite awkward to handle both a sword, and a pole weapon in the same time while marching Happy
Jens Boerner

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the simple answer is, I guess: there is no reason to wear a tool intended for training attached to the belt. Why should one had done so? Especially when wearing other, sharp weapons. And especially when marching; when marching in formation long swords are completly impractical - and so are training "federn".

I would suggest simply wearing either sharp replicas for explanation, or blunt ones for fencing shows, and haveing the federn in your tent.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since wearing a training sword wouldn't be historical practice in any case and you would doing so only for practical reasons you could do as Jens suggest when the priority is to look correctly historical or if the only reason is to do a demonstration of fighting with a polearm and having the sword on the belt you could just use a steel ring attached to a belt to wear the federschwert.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Rosen

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a tough issue. I completely agree with Jens.

I'm not aware of men wearing around training tools from anything I've read and so unless it's incredibly important you wear it, I would recommend against it if you're going to be educating people. At the same time, I would strongly disagree with the point about possibly just wearing it on a steel ring on your belt. Not only is it even less historically accurate/supported than a proper hanger or suspension system would be, but it would possibly also negatively affect your martial arts training, as a ring wouldn't work the way a real Medieval hanger set-up would or should.

-Dan Rosen

"One day there will be no more frontier, and men like you will go too."
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Check Meyer         Reply with quote

Actually if you check in Meyer there are a few illustrations that seem to show a small leather collar attached to the belt for holding the swords.

Best
Craig
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Check Meyer         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Actually if you check in Meyer there are a few illustrations that seem to show a small leather collar attached to the belt for holding the swords.

Best
Craig

I'll have to look for that now.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Check Meyer         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:

Best
Craig

That's actually how some of us wear our practice swords at my salle. We have a leather loop on our belts and just slide them in when no holding them or laying them down. I myself got one of those cheap leather frogs from online and just push the sword through till I need to take it out. Works quite well if you want to have it handy but need your hands free and you don't want to lay it on the floor.
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Meyer         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:

Best
Craig

Awwww... I was going to suggest wearing on your back Laughing Out Loud

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess it kind of depends on what you want to use it for. Are you wanting to wear your federschwert for reenactment purposes or for purposes regarding any HEMA training you may be partaking? I'm going to make a scabbard and suspension for my A&A Fechterspiel, mainly so don't have to put my sword on the ground, when I have to thumb through my notes or a manual when training with my study group.
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has anybody reconstructed a holding device as seen on Meyers pictures so far? If so, I really would like to see a picture of it.

Regards,

Thomas

http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Phil Crawley

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unlikely to be worn at the belt but you can carry them in processions and even dance with them as was done by fencing guild members for public display-

-- Angels also carry weapons --
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/symposium.html
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/PhilCrawley
Steven H

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Check Meyer         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:

Best
Craig

Hey Craig,

I looked and couldn't find it. Which plate and which figure?

Thanks,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Meyer         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
Awwww... I was going to suggest wearing on your back Laughing Out Loud

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Die myth. DIE!!!!! Mad

Wink

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil Crawley wrote:
... you can carry them in processions and even dance with them as was done by fencing guild members for public display

And I bet no-one dared to giggle at them! Laughing Out Loud

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wearing a federschwert?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic