Go to page 1, 2  Next

Privateer Armoury, Messer
[ Linked Image ]

Weight: 14oz
Length overall: 30 in. Blade: 24
Blade: 15N20 steel 1/16 in thiick
Guard: 1/8 in steel
Grips: red oak.

The Point of balance (PoB) is 6 in forward of the guard.
The primary node (CoP) is 15 in forward of the guard
The secondary node is between the first and and second rivets.

SOLD

Last edited by Ben Potter on Mon 15 Nov, 2010 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
messer
oh I like! Love how simple it is :D
Very nice work Ben and at a very reasonable price, can't wait to see what comes out next on the privateer line
Fantastic blade shape! Very nice. Under-priced and a hell of a value!
Ok, this one definitely makes it on my "want" list. :cool:
Agreed. S'awesome, sir.
nice!

Wonder what the balance feels like, as there's no weighed metal pommel...
Johan K wrote:
nice!

Wonder what the balance feels like, as there's no weighed metal pommel...

But it weighs less than a pound! :eek: Awesome!
I like it, but i'm curious as to whether other woods might be selected for the handle (at increased cost, I assume)?
Looks nice. My only concern is that both this and the cutlass are listed as 1/16 in thick....that seems awfully thin.....do you mean 3/16 ? Or are they really that thin?
Thanks,
Dan
Dan Dickinson wrote:
Looks nice. My only concern is that both this and the cutlass are listed as 1/16 in thick....that seems awfully thin.....do you mean 3/16 ? Or are they really that thin?
Thanks,
Dan

Good point. More detail pictures of the blade and hilt component would also be nice!
That's a good design, one that many have been waiting for at this price point.

Cheers,

Julien
The blades on these are 1/16 in. (well actually closer to .070)

Thicker ones are available but slightly higher price point ($400+)

Also, the messer is spoken for.
Thats prolly the only messer that I have ever scene that I actually really like. Whoever got his hands on this is a lucky lucky guy.
Hello,
Looks lovely, can you do these blunt? I know a few people interested in more WMA messer variety.
Cheers,
Hadrian
Normally I only do "sharpes" but blunts can be commissioned, Contact me if you are interested.
And the recipient of this fine piece just had it delivered to his door. :)

I have to say, for $275, this is a heck of a deal. This is a very nice handling weapon, and really is a fun piece to take through messerfechten plays. It's very light and wicked fast in feints and attacks. The blade is a little thinner at the spine than one would often see with this type of weapon, but as Ben mentioned above, he'd have to charge more if the blade were thicker, which defeats the purpose of his Privateer Armoury line. The fact that the blade is thin makes it incredibly light, and therefore it does not require a pommel to have a nice lively balance. The nagel is not peened through the cross the way most historical messers are, but it rests under the guard in an unobtrusive way that is still very plausible; It's even possible that some historical messers exist with this set up that I'm not aware of, as it's a very simple but effective design. Accurate or not, it's more than acceptable for the price.

Ben was super fast in shipping this to me, and that includes the time it took for him to make a wooden box for the sword. The box not only kept the sword safe for shipping, but will also make a nice transport case.

I really recommend Ben's work. I'm frankly a little shocked that a single custom maker can put out such a nice piece of this quality.

Attachment: 47.2 KB
box.jpg

Attachment: 66.88 KB
messer1.jpg

Attachment: 60.47 KB
messer2.jpg

Wow,that presentation box is a great little bonus! I know it would be WAY easier to store my swords away if they all came in beautiful handmade boxes.That is one of the coolest messers I've seen yet.The handle reminds me a little of a heavy duty kitchen knife,but that only adds to the uniqueness of the piece.Ben Potter is a great guy,and extremely talented in what he does.It's hard to believe he even makes a profit with such an affordable price tag.One could end up paying more for a couple mass produced wall-hangers than for this fantastic custom piece.Awesome work,Ben Potter!
I'm really happy to hear that you are happy with the piece.
By the way the nagel actually runs about 3/4 of the way down the tang to which it is welded. The rivets pass through it as well.
Bill Grandy wrote:
And the recipient of this fine piece just had it delivered to his door. :)

You suck... I so hate you. :p

Bill, once again you beat me to something nice. :\

I think what Ben has created is one of those messers that could have seen duty on the farm chopping "things" while working and used later that day in defense with bandits.

I'd love to have one. :cool:

Now to figure out how to slip the money out of the joint account with out getting caught...

See you in Sept Bill, if not sooner.

Cheers,

David
Ben Potter wrote:
I'm really happy to hear that you are happy with the piece.

Yes, very happy with it! I did some cutting with it tonight, and it was a pleasure to use.

Quote:
By the way the nagel actually runs about 3/4 of the way down the tang to which it is welded. The rivets pass through it as well.

Ah! Good to know!

David Teague wrote:
You suck... I so hate you.

I aim to please. :-p
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: