Viking Period pommel of copper-alloy
Dear Forumites

I would like to ask you for some assistance. I'm currently undertaking a study of a single-found cast pommel which roughly falls within Petersen's type R. So far I have not been able to find any similar pieces in publications, Net-based museum catalogues etc, etc. Hence It would be of invaluble help if someone else here on the Forum has seen anything remotely similar. If that is the case please let me know where! This particular pommel was found on the island of Gotland, Sweden back in the 1990's

[ Linked Image ]

Regards

/Ny Björn
copper alloy pommel
very interesting, i have never sen something with its particular, obviously trilobate pommels are common enough, but the upturned ens and the raised design, most uncommon, has a museum sen/recorded it? if not i suggest it gets seen by more than us.
Re: copper alloy pommel
K J Seago wrote:
very interesting, i have never sen something with its particular, obviously trilobate pommels are common enough, but the upturned ens and the raised design, most uncommon, has a museum sen/recorded it? if not i suggest it gets seen by more than us.

No need to worry! It's in the care of the National Historical Museum here in Stockholm (Inventory no. 34300), though not on display currently.

/N B
What about this one ?
[ Linked Image ]

Double-edged sword-hilt, inlaid with silver and bronze, with broken blade. In a tumulus with an axe, a spear-head cut and bent, three shield-bosses, two horse’ bits, two stirrups, a hammer, the end of a chain, a piece of a two-edged sword, &c. — Norway.

from Paul B. Du Chaillu - The Viking Age
Hi Ny Björn, doesn't it look a lot like this one?
[ Linked Image ]

"Found in 1982 at Pacuiul lui Soare, a Danubian frontier fortress (now on the Bulgarian border with Roumania) near the town of Silistra.
Silistra is the location of the famous victory of Byzantine Emperor John Tzimitzes over Sviatoslav, Prince of Rus’, at Dorostolon in 971. Possibly this fine weapon was lost by a Russian or Viking leader in the course of their defeat."
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/...nscription

Nordan (www.Northan.net) have a reproduction that seems to be using a very similar pommel to your find although more pointy at the top, if you're interested in knowing what it might have looked like back in the day. This is as they say "inspired by original hilt finds and the stunning artwork on the Sølested horse collar." So not from a complete sword find but gives you an idea.
[ Linked Image ]
There is a very similar one on display in the National Museum of Denmark in Kopenhagen. I do not have the details of find place, or inventory number sorry.

Attachment: 46.41 KB
P1030055_2.jpg

Thanks for the links Johan. I've seen those two - the Bulgarian/Romanian find is really interesting, more bird-like than the Gotlandic pommel. They're most definitely in the same tradition though. I've also spoken to Alban of Northan about his hilt-fittings. Apparently the pommel is based on a Russian find.

Peter: Brilliant! I'll contact the Museum for more info.

/N B

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: