Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New movie- The Three Musketeers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: New movie- The Three Musketeers         Reply with quote

Looks as thought they are yet again remaking The Three Musketeers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509767/

Looks like a pretty good cast, let's hope it comes out as good if not better a movie.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm...just looked at the directors previous works, hoping for a good movie may not be enough. Worried

Walter S

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect that the movie will have hardly anything common with the source material, except the name. Paul Anderson has habit of turning source material on its head... Particularly by ham-fistedly cramming Milla where she isn't supposed to be... Who has seen Resident Evil movies know what I mean.
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:
Paul Anderson has habit of turning source material on its head... Particularly by ham-fistedly cramming Milla where she isn't supposed to be... Who has seen Resident Evil movies know what I mean.

I've seen the Resident Evil's and as far as I am concerned Milla is the only reason to watch them - if Anderson crams her into any film I will watch it (I even sat through Zoolander for Miss Jovovich - I really am a bit keen on her) Razz As she has plenty of action roles to her credit a well choreographed rapier fight featuring M'Lady De Winter would be a re-write I could be happy with.

Other than that I can't see this coming close to the brilliant 1973 version at all - to be honest I agree Anderson is a very leaden director indeed. Now if Ridley Scott ditched the awfully overblown Gladiator/Kingdom of Heaven school of film making (as well as Orlando Bloom) and went back to his Hovis ad/The Duellists influences then that would be a great version in the making!

Neil
Walter S

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I like Milla too and even kinda liked Resident Evil movies, particularly the second one, Apocalypse. However that doesn't change that Alice is a character for which is no basis in the games, which is what I meant by turning source material on its head and cramming Milla in. It could have feel a lot closer to the games if the movies were written with Jill Valentine as main character played by Milla.
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 09 Nov, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, there's already been like a million Three Musketeers movies, I suppose one more won't hurt. I wouldn't even call it a remake, honestly.

Walter S wrote:
I suspect that the movie will have hardly anything common with the source material,

Yeah, but what else is new?

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Lucas Simms

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:
I suspect that the movie will have hardly anything common with the source material, except the name. Paul Anderson has habit of turning source material on its head... Particularly by ham-fistedly cramming Milla where she isn't supposed to be... Who has seen Resident Evil movies know what I mean.

I've played the games and seen the movies. It's a little annoying how they take something from the games (certain monsters etc.) and stick it where it doesn't belong in the storyline.

The most recent case is when they took the executioner majini (giant guy with an axe) from RE5 and put him in the middle of Los Angeles.

Lucas
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I best like the 1993 version of the three musketeers.
i doubt there could be a better cardinal than tim curry.
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 1970's version is the best of them all. I had high hopes for the 90's version, but the movie made some bad mistakes with character motivations etc. that really bothered me (ref. Athos' relationship with and feelings towards Milady De Winter).

Don't really hope for much from this latest version. It will be difficult to surpass the 1970's version in any case.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Then there is the 1948 version with Gene Kelly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Musketeers_(1948_film)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: How did I miss this???         Reply with quote

Did not hear about this till I saw the post this morning. Not sure how I missed it.

As to previous renditions some are part of the small group of movies that are the best sword flicks ever made. SOme much less so Eek!

I would advise keeping ones expectations low for such an effort. Gives one the best shot at going to see it and being pleasantly surprised. Which would be a great thing Wink

Did a quick search and here are some pics. Does not look like they really went over the top on the weapons and armor, to bad.

Love the story, think the 70's version is probably one of the best sword movies ever made and one should not talk about sword flicks until you have seen it Happy

Larger Musketeers Pic

Hope it surprises us! Surprised

Craig
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Milla Jovovich? All for one and one for zombies?

Always fun to watch another 3 Musketeers movie. Its all in the boots. Hope they went all out.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I liked the 1948 version. I also liked the 1993 version, even though the later had almost nothing to do with the novel. (Oliver Platt's portrayal of Porthos helped a lot.) I genuinely disliked the 1973 version, though.

Over-all, I think it's entirely subjective which is better then any other, and it will probably be the same thing with this one all over again.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Martin Whalen

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've said it before, but Hollywood is pathetic, utterly pathetic.

They're remake every single film at one time or another, and remake every classic story thousands of times over, like this one. WTF?!

I'm just wondering how this is even relevant, but you can ask the same of the dozens of King Arthur films over the last two decades as well.

I won't even rent this, there are decent films about this subject already, move on Hollyweird, think for yourself for a change.

Hollyweird is why I only rent movies 15-40ish years old.

Luceo Non Uro.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

speaking of Musketeer swords, here are 2 aluminum prop swords from the 1990's Man in the Iron Mask.

John Malkovich's Athos sword and Jeremy Iron's Aramis sword.

And for best Musketeer movie, my vote goes fo the 1973 version, written by George Macdonald Fraser of Flashman fame.

Attachment: 81.06 KB
ManInTheIronMask-AramisSword1redo.jpg
Aramis

Attachment: 47.21 KB
ManInTheIronMask-AramisSword2.jpg
Aramis

Attachment: 58.36 KB
maninironmask-malkovichsword1.jpg
Athos

Attachment: 77.57 KB
maninironmask-malkovichsword2.jpg
Athos
Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How did I miss this???         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Did not hear about this till I saw the post this morning. Not sure how I missed it.

Did a quick search and here are some pics. Does not look like they really went over the top on the weapons and armor, to bad.

Hmmm, is it just me or does the the armour in that pic look a little. . . plastic?
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The costumes appear to be half-arsed and the weapons only a small step above. I'm sure my son and I will see it regardless. It features two of lifes guilty pleasures: swords and Milla Jovovich.

I don't have high hopes for it of course. Given the directors track record I expect it to be slightly better that a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. The 1973 version is by far my favorite. One cannot be a sword geek from my generation and not have been affected by Richard Lesters creation. It was one of the movies I'd run home to see after school as a child so regardless of its inherent inaccuracies I consider it the yardstick of severity for Three Musketeers movies. The Gene Kelly production is a great romp, but I'd rather vomit in my mouth than see the 90's era abomination again. We won't even discuss the gravity defying The Musketeer.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw The Musketeer and hated. I remember watching the 1993 movie when i was a kid so that one will always have a special place in my heart. I'd much prefer to see a director of higher quality at the helm of this. That said this director tends to do movies that are crappy, but fun, so I will go into it looking for little more than entertainment. As long as it succeeds there, I'll be happy.
I figure if this one is terrible I'll only have to wait another 15-20 years for them to take another stab at it.

Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I occasionally watch Man in the Iron Mask. The movie isn't that good, but Gerard Depardieu is just brilliant as Porthos.
The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
I occasionally watch Man in the Iron Mask. The movie isn't that good, but Gerard Depardieu is just brilliant as Porthos.

Also, it's not as depressing as the original story. Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New movie- The Three Musketeers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic