New feature: Improved post editor
Most won't care about this, but this fixes a major annoyance to me...

I just did a major overhaul of the text editor used to create posts. The various formatting features work better across web browsers now. Things worked okay in Internet Explorer but not so well in other browsers.

I haven't used IE for years, so I never really use the formatting buttons at the top of the post editor (bold, italics, underline, color, size, etc.). I have been simply typing things in manually for years. I'll probably continue to do that as I find it easier, but it isn't exactly intuitive to most.

Before, when you hit a formatting button, a formatting BBCODE was inserted at the end of the post rather than where your cursor was. That was annoying.

Now BBCODE formatting codes are inserted where the cursor is. This is much more logical. Likewise, you can now selected word(s) and click a formatting button and it will surround the selected word(s) with the right code rather than insert at the end of the post. Much better.

Hitting an emoticon (a smiley) now inserts it at the cursor's location rather than at the end of a post, too.

This should make it a lot easier for people to make posts with formated text. It's a lot more intuitive to add color, italicizing, smaller text, or other combinations. (not that I'm encouraging making silly over-formatted text...)

Still testing. Just letting you know.
Additionally, there are keys mapped to the formatting buttons and posting functions. They are accessed with the ALT key (CONTROL on a Mac).

This means that you can select word(s) and then hit a key combination to format the selected passage, just as you would in a word processor.

ALT-I is Italic
ALT-U is Underline
ALT-B is Bold

ALT-P is Image (Picture)
ALT-W is URL (Web address)

ALT-Q is Quote
ALT-C is Code
ALT-L is List

ALT-S is used to Submit your post

ALT-V is used to Preview your post

Note: Some browsers won't support these. Firefox, for example, has ALT-S mapped to something else.
Thanks, Nathan! This is much appreciated!
Excellent
Thank you Nathan that makes posting my announcements and such a lot easier very cool :)

Craig
Thank you , Nathan!
Nice work :D
Thank you thank you thank you!

I don't use those codes often, but when I did, I could never remember until I tried it that the buttons would add the format at the end instead of at the cursor. It will save me confusion and frustration in the future!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: