Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > tying a turkshead in wire Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: tying a turkshead in wire         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows the tricks to tying the turkshead on the wire wrapped grips?
Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
For any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Spotlight topic: Tying a Turk's Head Knot
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd seen this series of photos before (scroll past the juvenile squirrel) but just now noticed that instead of following a single strand, Eljay starts with a bundle. This should make things MUCH easier because it's hard to get the individual strands "stacked" properly when following a single strand. Huzzah! Funny...I was sitting at lunch today fooling around with another USB Turk's Head and wondering how to make my wire work neater. The answer is in these photos! Couldn't see it until I'd done a couple the hard way. Now I can finish my Town Guard upgrade! Big Grin

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=turks

PS: I should point out that each of the strands shown here is composed of two lighter strands twisted together. Here's the way I do that--Estimate the amount of wire I need, double it, add enough to guarantee a surplus, fold in half and tie one end to create a loop. Clamp a nail in a vise and put one end of the loop over that nail. Bend a small nail into a hook shape and secure in an electric drill. Put the hook through the free end of the loop, stretch the loop lightly taught and start slowly winding. Keep tension on the loop or it will buckle and twist out of control. Don't use too much tension, though, especially with wire this light. Use the same process for grip wire--to get a herringbone pattern, make two of these loops, turn one right, the other left and apply them to the grip back-to-back. The longer you wind the loop, the finer the pattern, but if you overdo it the loop will buckle.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be careful not get distracted by the other eye candy in Sean's thread! Homer Simpson's comment keep's popping into my mind: "It doesn't look easy, but I bet it is."
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Be careful not get distracted by the other eye candy in Sean's thread! Homer Simpson's comment keep's popping into my mind: "It doesn't look easy, but I bet it is."

That's a personal favorite. Big Grin Actually, the technique is incredibly simple if you see it done or manage to do it yourself. The great challenges of the TH, in my limited experience, are in the scale you have to work at, keeping the strands neatly stacked, securing the knot and getting a perfect fit on the grip. Again, Eljay's multi-strand technique should reduce most those problems.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wait so the TH is not tied in place?

That is relatively easy then. I thought you had to tighten it on the grip and couldn't figure out how to work the strands through with out kinking them.

Thanks

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
For any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.
Stephen Wheatley

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again Sean, inspirational! I've got about twenty swords awaiting decent THs! I'll have yet another go now I've seen the tutorial photos. Thus far the techniques eluded me and I've been using bronze plumber's olives - not bad but not the same, especially not when you consider the bother I had finding useable rayskin!

Will post some pics if success.
Steve

Stephen Wheatley
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,
True, I start with a bundle, but my bundle is composed of one long strand folded back upon itself 3X. So my Turk's heads are still of one strand of wire.
--ElJay
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Sean,
True, I start with a bundle, but my bundle is composed of one long strand folded back upon itself 3X. So my Turk's heads are still of one strand of wire.
--ElJay

The more I thought about those photos after posting the more I realized that they couldn't really be separate strands because that would leave two loose ends, complicating the finish even further. Couldn't account for only one "tail" tucked into the end of the grip. I wondered if they were folded and...sure enough! Many thanks for the clarification. It's all coming together now. Big Grin Picked up some 28 ga. steel beading wire on the way home last night and can't wait to try this!

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another guess: The TH is finished by passing the free strands upward through the looped end of the strand before tucking them into the slot in the end of the grip. Haven't tried it yet but that seems to be a neat solution that takes advantage of the loop created by the folded strand.
-Sean

Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok... so here is the jewlers trick to tying a great turkshead out of wire...

the problem is pulling the wire tight at each turn... and then still being able to get the wire through on the next turn...

Step 1: get really good at tying turks heads out of nylon string like thick fishing line (available where salt water fishing supplies are sold).
Step 2: get nylon string in the same gauge as your wire (if cheating and using double strand wire get a gauge that is about that thick or slightly thinner)
Step 3: tie the turks head in place with the nylon string
Step 4: follow the nylon through with the wire removing the nylon as you go... now you don't need to worry about tightening the wire as its already where it needs to be.

presto really well done turks head out of wire... there are all kinds of ways of cheating this method such as braiding the wire straight and then tying a one loop turkshead and soldering the ends but the method above is the easy way of getting it done...
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat trick, Christopher! Thanks!
-Sean

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > tying a turkshead in wire
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic