Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > When did the Albion Marxbruder become available? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: When did the Albion Marxbruder become available?         Reply with quote

And how did I miss it?
Ottawa Swordplay
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to Albion's Facebook page, about three months ago.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's curious that Albion didn't announce its release on this forum as they did with every previous model.

Here is a photo that I found over at Albion Europe, showing all the released Maestros.

Attachment: 98.22 KB
MaestroFamilyb.jpg
Maestros
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Should have come to ISMAC... they even let us play with some in Mr. Tobler's Leckuechner Messer class
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
It's curious that Albion didn't announce its release on this forum as they did with every previous model.

They're not very active on myArmoury.com anymore.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

They're not very active on myArmoury.com anymore.

Well if they don't come to us we can go to them but it's good to know that if we want to find the latest news about Albion we shouldn't assume that it will be posted here in a timely fashion.

Our pocket books may be emptier than they used to be but this site probably has the greatest concentration of interested and potential buyers that any other site except maybe SFI, so posting new products here would seem like a good idea to me.

Mostly I think they are just too busy/overworked to have the time to post these days. Surprised Question

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Treichel wrote:
Should have come to ISMAC... they even let us play with some in Mr. Tobler's Leckuechner Messer class
Sad

I registered for ISMAC but then had to bail because I couldn't afford transportation to the event.

I would have liked to have seen these in person.

Ottawa Swordplay
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion seems to have been pulling back on its forum-based online marketing for quite some time. They seem to be using Twitter (where they have 81 followers) and Facebook (where 2,284 people "like" them) instead of forums such as ours (which has 23,321 registered users).
Happy

ChadA

Craig Shackleton

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So how is the marxbruder? Does anyone have one? Obviously some of you have played with them.

I'm a little surprised by the cord wrapped grip on a messer. I like it on my I.33, but it's a little jarring on the marxbruder.

The blade looks perfect for my use from the picture, and the cross and pommel are nice, but I'm not sold on the grip yet.

As for where they update, it's also not posted on their front page on their main site, just in the maestro section. I went there to look at the Meyer, and was surprised to see the Marxbruder, which I'm frankly far more interested in.

Ottawa Swordplay
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Craig (and everyone else)!

Craig Shackleton wrote:
So how is the marxbruder? Does anyone have one? Obviously some of you have played with them.

I have two, purchased at ISMAC. They've seen considerable use both in my classes here and in our forthcoming DVD "Sword, Buckler, and Messer".

Quote:
I'm a little surprised by the cord wrapped grip on a messer. I like it on my I.33, but it's a little jarring on the marxbruder.

Yes, I wish they did the proper knife-form scale grip. I actually don't care for the cord grip in any case; it's pretty abrasive.

Quote:
The blade looks perfect for my use from the picture, and the cross and pommel are nice, but I'm not sold on the grip yet.

Handling is superb on these - they're wonderful in that regard. My two, plus the two we tested at ISMAC all had too defined a back spine, which was prone to notching. They've since rounded this off, mitigating the problem, or at least to a degree.

Quote:
As for where they update, it's also not posted on their front page on their main site, just in the maestro section. I went there to look at the Meyer, and was surprised to see the Marxbruder, which I'm frankly far more interested in.

It was still listed as a "reserve yours" thing on their site well after ISMAC too. I only became aware via this thread that it's now official.

Long story short: there are things I wish were different, but on the whole these are really great.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one, as do a couple of my students. We all had preordered these when they were much cheaper, and for the price we paid, these are amazing. I'll admit that at the current price they're a little harder to justify, but they are still quite a damn good trainer.

Like Christian, I do wich they'd used the scale grips. Nonetheless, that's more of an aesthetic thing for me than anything else. The handling is fantastic: It's exactly what I want out of a messer. There is a reasonable amount of flex in the thrust, but the main portion of the blade is still quite stiff. These also are quite tough. Pamela Muir and David Rowe both have the original version with the squared off spine, but I received mine with the spine rounded, and mine only came a week later, so they fixed that problem very early on.

All in all, it's a wonderful trainer, and I super happy to have mine.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Albion seems to have been pulling back on its forum-based online marketing for quite some time. They seem to be using Twitter (where they have 81 followers) and Facebook (where 2,284 people "like" them) instead of forums such as ours (which has 23,321 registered users).

Yes, Facebook and Twitter are lousy for advertising. I am one of the Likes on Facebook and I never see their stuff on there.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a guess, but I imagine they see our Forum as after-market competition for their new sales. I know I would if I were in their situation. Much rather sell a new unit than see a used one sold for less, perhaps!
"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
Yes, Facebook and Twitter are lousy for advertising. I am one of the Likes on Facebook and I never see their stuff on there.

Facebook and Twitter can be enormously successful in the right situations. I think Albion is spending more time making stuff than talking about it in general these days, since their website hasn't been updated, etc.

It's too bad, since (in my opinion) Albion might not exist in its current form if not for internet forums bringing together Peter Johnsson (and before him Randall Graham) and the Waddells.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
Just a guess, but I imagine they see our Forum as after-market competition for their new sales. I know I would if I were in their situation. Much rather sell a new unit than see a used one sold for less, perhaps!

Every maker has to deal with that, of course. As well as record labels with used CD stores, book publishers with used book stores, etc. That doesn't have to stop them from trying to tell you why you should buy new. Happy

This forum is actually a free sales vehicle that reaches an audience ripe for their product. So much so, that people have often accused myArmoury of being Albion's mouthpiece, which is kind of funny. Albion simply made more noise here than other makers chose to do several years ago (the most replied-to topic in myArmoury's history unveiled a series of Next Gen swords). Now that's changed.

myArmoury provides a free-of-charge marketing/sales vehicle for Industry Professionals that reaches thousand of potential customers. But we can't force makers to take advantage of it. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's too bad that Albion has reduced it's forum participation as myArmoury.com is pretty much where I've learned about every new release and planned new edition from Albion. I'm one of those who "Like" Albion on facebook but to be honest, I spend so little time there that I think I've only seen two or three Albion posts in the time I've followed them.

For what it's worth, I would ask that Albion go back to participating more on forums as it keeps me informed and more importantly, it keeps my enthusiasm for this hobby at a high level.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

Well, this thread certainly morphed! Wink

We (Freelance Academy Press) advertise here, at SFI, the Armour Archive, and via Facebook/Twitter. I have to say that each has been valuable. In particular, we very much appreciate what a vendor-friendly environment myArmoury is.

@Jonathan: We've had good luck with our Facebook announcements - any one of them is guaranteed incremental busines.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apart form the marxbruder (if in fact they did not post it's release here) are there any other products they have not introduced on these forums which have been released in the last few years?

They probably seem less active becasue they have not had many new releases lately.

Or it could be because they suffered alot of negative feedback last time they announced price increases and decided the abuse didn't warrant their further participation here.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect that the reality is that Albion is spending their efforts trying to penetrate new markets and widen their reach. They already have a pretty damn good lock on this audience as a marketing demographic. As a small company, they have limited resources. They have to use their resources carefully and still maintain the same basic goal of all businesses: grow or die.

Regardless of the reason, speculation doesn't get us anywhere and, in particular, negative speculation gets us to a place where we don't really want to go.

They forgot to announce a product here. No big deal. We found it anyway, right? Happy Wink Wink

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark T

PostPosted: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
They forgot to announce a product here. No big deal. We found it anyway, right? Happy Wink Wink

Yup ... pretty hard to keep a good messer down, so to speak ...

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > When did the Albion Marxbruder become available?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic