Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Any information of guns of the renaissance? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Luis Armando

PostPosted: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Any information of guns of the renaissance?         Reply with quote

Hi
I just see in the history chanel a musket very beautiful and truly gave me a bustling to take a firearm old in my collection, i do not like firearms but it seems to me that one of these weapons le daria something of variety to myArmoury. To my i don't like buy weapons, I prefer them myself, so i appreciate that i help to get information on how to make?, how the can i do? And all the information that i can give this gun.

Postscript: i would like the gun that i make a functional

"Dying is nothing when for the homeland dies" (Jose Maria Morelos)
Christian G. Cameron

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This appears to me to be a Balkan or Turkish flintlock pistol of any time from 1700 to 1850. The relatively straight lockplate, despite the doming, argues for the later date. the flint cock is missing it's upper jaw.

There is nothing "Renaissance" about this pistol. Flintlocks, as a class probably existed as early as 1635, but they had a very different look. Even the precursor to the flintlock--the snaphaunce--is probably no more recent than 1620. Wheel locks go back to the 1520s, at least in design.

Building your own replica firearm is not as hard as it looks. The best place to buy parts that I know of is http://therifleshoppe.com/, A US firm that makes the parts for hundreds of early firearms. My group has a dozen weapons made with their parts, all excellent. If you can do basic woodworking, drill a straight hole, and finish metal, you can construct a period weapon...

For kits, consider http://www.trackofthewolf.com/. Also, take a look at the early flintlock rifle on page one of the "rifles for sale" a 1630s copy of one of Louix XIII's guns--for only $10,000 dollars!

Enjoy!

Christian G. Cameron

Qui plus fait, miex vault

www.hippeis.com
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That pistol looks very similar to this 1763-1760 French Dragoon Cavalry Pistol:
http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/eur...frame.html

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Nov, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am a VERY active BP/ML flintlock enthusiast. I compete reg. plus train others ( incl. NRA Inst.s)

If You wish to build a pistol then here is my advice-
1. Build from a Kit, unless you are a Machinist.& wood worker.
2. Kits-The kit you opt for will depend on your skill level ( many mfg.s will spec. level of expertise needed.
a. Easy kits - these basically only req. simple assembly & finishing.
b. med. diff. - these kits req. some knowledge of working with wood ( inletting metal work etc.)
c. Hard to very hard - These very from "rough configured "stocks & Metal parts ( except bbl.s ) to blank stocks & metal parts that req. shaping ( the steel parts ( sans bbl. ) reg. tempering.)

3. Narrow down your time period. During the time you indicated, pistols went from "matchlocks, wheellocks, doglocks, & flintlocks.
4. Choose your country (English, Scottish, French etc, They differed.
5. Military or civilian

Here is a source that IMO ( I am biased in that I am a MOD here ) Can & will assist You, from dowing research, discussing sources for the kits & when your ready to build it There are those of us who have built kits to "master" gun builders who buld $$$ ( often from "scratch" - ) All will pitch in & help.
/www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com/forum

Please feel free to PM Me if you like

Jack

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Any information of guns of the renaissance?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic