Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on bauernwehr replication Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on bauernwehr replication         Reply with quote

Hello,
I have mentioned before that I have in my collection a 15th century bauernwehr found in Yorkshire, England. Seemingly of German import. I have been wanting to get it replicated for a while and finally sent it off to Leo Todeschini aka http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/index.htm
One aspect I am currently debating is getting an accompanying by-knife and possibly pricker made. At first I was unsure based on the financial aspect... however that has become less of a consideration at this point.
The upside is making it a complete set... The downside is that anything beyond the bauernwehr itself is conjecture...
What would your thoughts be? Currently I am leaning towards making it a complete set.
Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the "kits" and would say go for the set!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go for the kit! Conjecture is FUN! It's part of what is exciting about this hobby in my opinion; what could have been... Although you may only have the bauernwehr itself, it is reasonable to assume that at one point it may have had an accompanying by-knife and pricker. If examples from period art are cited the likeliness of a by-knife and pricker are quite good. Oh, and they just look cool. Besides, Tod would likely appreciate the work...
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on bauernwehr replication         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:
The downside is that anything beyond the bauernwehr itself is conjecture...

Conjecture because you don't have the actual antique by-knife and pricker, I assume. But they have been found together and you are replicating the antique bauernwehr, so I vote to go with the set. Congratulations! I envy your quandary!

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think there is also some evidence (although I can find it at the moment) that the Bauernwehr was also carried by itself, without by-knife and/or pricker. If so, then all options are open. If I remember correctly, your Bauernwehr was dug up?

Anyway, if there is no evidence of your Bauernwehr lacking the by-knife and/or pricker, then I would go with the complete package, because that seems to be the more common variant.
Mark T

PostPosted: Tue 19 Oct, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go with what you're leaning towards ... and if you lean too far and fall over, then sell the knife and pricker to me! Big Grin
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Marc H

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what is the pricker for, they never turn up in eating scenes or manners books so they're not cutlery, are they steels for retouching your edge? Oh and any idea what the 'in period' name for the 'pricker' is?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc H wrote:
what is the pricker for, they never turn up in eating scenes or manners books so they're not cutlery, are they steels for retouching your edge? Oh and any idea what the 'in period' name for the 'pricker' is?

Some of that info is covered here and here. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on bauernwehr replication
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic