Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Choosing a viking age/late iron age gambeson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Kari

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Choosing a viking age/late iron age gambeson         Reply with quote

As one other member here was asking help about choosing medieval 14th century gambeson I would like help with choosing a gambeson that would fit for period 800-ca 1200.
Best would be if it would be made of leather from one side and linen/fabric from inside. Buth linen/woolen is fine too.
I prefer if it would be made in Europe, since I am living in Estonia.

Thanks,
Juhan
A. Heidalen Skog

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Use several woolen tunics ^^

Works well with maille.
J. Kari

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its too few for our fighting style.
I once had a bruise with a pattern of a maille on my hip, because I didnt have my gambeson with me and had to use 2-3 woolen tunics instead. It hurt.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ave!

You may have to add some non-period protection. For most of the timespan you mention, there is practically no evidence for a padded garment worn under mail. Here, try this thread:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123775

There's also a long thread on this board about Viking-era organic defenses. It's a lot more talking than evidence, unfortunately!

After 1100 or so, no problem, though I suspect gambesons were usually not made with leather.

Good luck!

Matthew
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Ave!

You may have to add some non-period protection. For most of the timespan you mention, there is practically no evidence for a padded garment worn under mail. Here, try this thread:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123775

There's also a long thread on this board about Viking-era organic defenses. It's a lot more talking than evidence, unfortunately!

After 1100 or so, no problem, though I suspect gambesons were usually not made with leather.

Good luck!

Matthew

Though as that thread suggests, even in later periods substantial padding was often not worn with armour, but seperately.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Oct, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not sure what you are talking about Jojo. By 1200 there seems very little evidence textile/padding was not being worn in conjunction with armour or mail and plate. Ever near layer by layer account I know of from the 13th on to the 15th has some form of padding or textile under armour.

J.,

I know what you mean. I got loads of nasty bruises when I fought just in mail and decided I was going to do something about it. Period or not I just felt like I knew I could do something about it without changing the historic look so I added padding. Now I am working on a multi-layered undertunic. It may end up being a liner but I am still deciding. It does not provide quite the same impact protection as my padding from what I can tell but it seems to be working just as well in most aspects.

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Choosing a viking age/late iron age gambeson
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic