Donnie Shearer
I was fortunate to see Donnie at the Stone Mountain, GA Highland games last weekend. His clan tent was next to ours. He had a Walter Allan and John Allan sword along with another, unmarked, antique sword which I was able to examine. I had seen the Walter Allan piece some time ago.

Donnie has not been well, but to look at him and talk to him you would not know it. We spent a very pleasant hour or so talking about swords and photography and other subjects of mutual interest. It was great to see him out and about.

Donnie did a lot of the photography for the Withers book on Scottish swords but was not credited in the book. He had a copy and pointed out a lot of interesting tidbits, including some of the swords which are or have been in his collection.

Again, it was nice to see that he is doing better. I have attached a disgustingly accurate likeness of the two of us.

Attachment: 118.95 KB
[ Download ]
Good to see Donnie's able to get out and about. Still bringing antique Claymores to the games, I see! Wish I had any time off to be able to go to the games - never have been able to make this one. Perhaps next year...

At least I get to enjoy my six Donnie Shearer swords on a daily basis :cool:

Shout out to you, Donnie!
Thank you for the update on Donnie and the photo showing you two in good spirits!
Christopher Gregg wrote:
At least I get to enjoy my six Donnie Shearer swords on a daily basis

I truly regret not having a piece from Donnie in my own collection. I really do.
Missed Donnie @ Stone Mountain. I play with Jamestown P&D Grade IV band, so we were focused on our competition for the day (we took 3rd and drum corp took first- I'm the bass drummer). Usually catch Mr. Shearer @ Loch Norman games, but we also ran into and talked majorly with him at the Baltimore Antique Arms show this past March. Heck of a nice gentleman.

cheers,
Bill

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: