Care and maintenance of a Targe
Does anyone know if its safe to use leather cleaning wipes and or leather care products traditionally used for car and furniture leather on a Joe Lindsey made targe? They say safe for all leathers. I don't want to damage the targe or rub off the dye or anything I just have no idea if this requires a different kind of care than regular leather products. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I usually use linen oil for vegetable tanned leather. If the targe wasn't oiled before linen oil can darken the leather, so be careful. The best you can do IMHO is to ask the maker for advice.

Last edited by Michal Plezia on Sat 16 Oct, 2010 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Michal Plezia wrote:
I usually use linen oil for vegetable tanned leather. If the targe wasn't oiled before linen oil can darken the leather, so be careful. The best you can do IMHO is to ask the make for advice.

Yes ask the maker would be a good option.

The only thing I could suggest is Renaissance Wax which is used by Museums and is formulated to avoid doing any harm to antiques or change colour, darken with age, yellow with age or do any damage due to chemical composition.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ssance+Wax

I think it is also formulated to that museums can use some sort of solvent to remove it safely if they need to do so. ( No idea what that would be ).

Still, get the maker's advice first or be very very sure before you try anything.
My advice is to avoid excessive tampering with the surface. However, you may buff the surface lightly with a soft cloth or a lambs wool pad (sometimes there may be a surface bloom that is unseen). Should wax be required (from time to time) use the type mentioned Renaissance wax as used by the British museum (and others) apply sparingly with a soft cloth and buff afterwards. That is how I treat my collection of 150 targes. Additionly I also have to clean the brass studs,bosses and plates.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: