Go to page Previous  1, 2

Yeah, line it with something, that'd probably help.
I intend to do it with the whole of my hauberk and chausses so I can use a thinner aketon, but still when it's all on have about 7mm-1cm thickness of padding (to make up for lack of plate).
Btw; I use maille when on a forum like this or when chatting to friends and for spesific info searching, and I use chainmail in a general sense when searching if my Google-Fu is weak. :lol:
I say tomato you say tomato... Hmmm... That doesn't work well as in text...
Hi there!

I am also a mailler I've made two suits and a coif from butted maille and now working on a riveted one, and Oh boy! I'm sick of making maille, but I love it in the end :lol: .

My first try was like yours, I didn't really like how big the opening was between the rings. If your plaining on using it for reenactment combat I would go with riveted 3/8 ID rings. Smaller rings will help give the effect you want.
Elling Polden wrote:
the use of the "chain" term is probably due to direct translations from German, where they have no It seems tightly fitted, which is good, except that it should be fitted over an arming tunic (cloth armour). However, if you get one now, the mail will not fit, so it would probably be best to leave that for "next time".

The good news is that it's not that hard to open a seam and add more rows/columns and then close it back up, so re-sizing is not out of the question.
Romulus Stoica wrote:
Anyway, the topic was about how you can make a mail armor with smaller gaps between rings (links), so we better return on topic. There are any other methods except using smaller diameter rings or flattened rings? Using a 6 in 1 pattern will produce a more dense "fabric" but I don't believe this is historically correct if you refer to XII-XIII century mail.

Smaller rings or thicker wire will close the spaces making the whole thing denser.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: