Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Oakeshott T-shirts? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Oakeshott T-shirts?         Reply with quote

there's some very serious talk over at the SBG forum about making some Oakeshott typology T-shirts. the idea is to get some cool shirts us sword fans can wear and to give a portion of proceeds to the Oakeshott institute. I figured I'd mention this here to see what the interest level is for this sort of thing. SBG is a smaller community than myArmoury and will likely not have the numbers to make this venture a success. also we want to include our sister communities (myArmoury and SFI) as a sort of relationship building effort. I know there are several people who are active members of all three forums and we would like to build on that and strengthen the Euro sword community as a whole.

any way the shirt idea right now as I understand it is to have a line drawing of a type XVIII arming sword on the front, perhaps with Oakeshott type information, and on the back a drawing of the Oakeshott type chart along with the words "Oakeshott, what's your type?"

hopefully I have presented the design properly, it has changed a little during discussion and I am not heading the project.

before I post a link to discussion there I will review local forum policy on that (I'm not the regular here I should be and I want to respect forum policy)

more info to come, any discussion on interest welcome.

bottom line: price for the shirts is unknown yet but most likely in the $20-$35 range
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sounds awesome!

And I suspect that just about everyone in my club will want one.

Keeps us posted.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyway you could choose your type?
E Pluribus Unum
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If only there could be 25 different T-shirts showing types X to XXII. But that would be too complicated and expensive. If I could choose one for my T-shirt, it would be a ricasso-incised XIX Happy
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
If only there could be 25 different T-shirts showing types X to XXII. But that would be too complicated and expensive. If I could choose one for my T-shirt, it would be a ricasso-incised XIX Happy

well there's this crazy idea that if the shirts are a success we could do another run with a different type on it. I agree with you that I would just SOOOOO love to have one shirt for every type. but screening costs and fees for that would put the shirts into the price range of some pretty nice swords. . . yeah I'd still prefer the steel Laughing Out Loud
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could do shirts of every type though a service like cafepress. I've ordered one-off custom shirts though that for an acceptable price. They print to order, not to stock.
The Knights Hospitaller: http://www.hospitaalridders.nl
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like this idea.
And hey, if one can get the whole typology on a t-shirt, I'd sure as hel buy it!

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would definately be interested in buying one but I'm not sure of the wisdom of putting a sword on the front as each of us has our own clear preferences. I'm thinking the front should be something simple, like the symbol from the Oakeshott Institute (Craig Johnson has indicated that they may be on board pending some more discussion) on the left breast or full-size on the front or maybe just "Oakeshott" in large letters across the chest. The back should definately have good quality line drawings of the whole typology. In fact, I like the idea of the simple "Oakeshott" on the front as 99% of all people will see it and go ????

Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Oakeshott T Shirts         Reply with quote

Mr Lampe
I love your design ... If and when this project moves forward please put me down for a couple ...
Best to all
Tim

Tim Mathews
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the official thread is over at SBG but I've been having a hard time logging in/re-registering/registering since they moved to a new site so I thought I would post over here. My post is what was described as the current concept but I have no idea if it will be the final product. My graphic was just a rough estimation of how the back might look.
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh I'd so get one. I like the idea of each type getting their own shirt but the"what's your type" shirt is all sorts of awesome
Tom Kinder

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well I have been absurdly busy at work and I haven't been able to find let alone re-read the local rules on posting links to other forums but I guess I'll just go ahead and put it here incase anyone wants to read the whole thing.

http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=402

it has gone a little quiet but I think it is more because there has to be some answers figured out instead of lack of interest. I'll see if I can stir the pot a bit and keep things bubbling.
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
What's your type?

Personally, I like those that swing both ways! Wink

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark T wrote:
Personally, I like those that swing both ways! Wink

Why do you hate on the Falchion Question Laughing Out Loud Wink

[This is just another poor example of my attempt to use the modern English vernacular.]

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:

Why do you hate on the Falchion Question Laughing Out Loud Wink

Scott: I'm so glad you realised I was talking about swords! Big Grin I don't hate on the Falchion, although I prefer the messer - just as long is it has a nice sharpened clip on the back/false edge, and we're in business - that swings both ways too ... just that people don't expect it ... a little like backcutting in sabre and Bowie work.

Anyway, back on topic ... if these shirts do go ahead - and the primary purpose is a fundraiser for The Oakeshott Institute, then count me in.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Oakeshott T-shirts?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic