Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Break-Free dangerous? And other minor oil questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Break-Free dangerous? And other minor oil questions         Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for visiting my forum topic. Happy

I recently purchased a can of "Break-Free CLP" sold under the winchester name at my local Wal-mart. Since it seemed highly recommended by so many people on this site, I decided to try it.

On the back of the can with the other various warnings is one that states to "...Avoid contact with skin or eyes..." and then later it tells you to wash skin or eyes for 15 minutes if you do make contact.

Does this warning only apply when your applying it as you spray it, or to after you've let it sit over night aswell? Since I could not find the squeeze bottle in my area I had to buy the spray can, does the squeeze bottle carry a similar warning?

I would'nt think people would use it if skin contact with it was dangerous even after it had sat around all night on your armour, but the warning kinda makes me worry about using it on stuff that lays around my room...

And since im talking about oiling armour...I might aswell ask a few basic questions about that since I have no experience in that area.

Just how much oil should I apply to armour? if I run my finger on my armour how much should come off on my finger?

Should I buff it in once i've got it on the armour?

Sorry for these basic questions but I am really not all that knowledgable in this area, thanks in advance for your help. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Break-Free dangerous? And other minor oil questions         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:

I recently purchased a can of "Break-Free CLP" sold under the winchester name at my local Wal-mart. Since it seemed highly recommended by so many people on this site, I decided to try it.

On the back of the can with the other various warnings is one that states to "...Avoid contact with skin or eyes..." and then later it tells you to wash skin or eyes for 15 minutes if you do make contact.

Does this warning only apply when your applying it as you spray it, or to after you've let it sit over night aswell? Since I could not find the squeeze bottle in my area I had to buy the spray can, does the squeeze bottle carry a similar warning?

I would'nt think people would use it if skin contact with it was dangerous even after it had sat around all night on your armour, but the warning kinda makes me worry about using it on stuff that lays around my room...

And since im talking about oiling armour...I might aswell ask a few basic questions about that since I have no experience in that area.

Just how much oil should I apply to armour? if I run my finger on my armour how much should come off on my finger?

Sorry for these basic questions but I am really not all that knowledgable in this area, thanks in advance for your help. Happy

I usually apply it as a spray at arms length away, upwind, and then wipe it down on the object sprayed with a rag to remove excess. I then usually wash my hands afterwards, though not for more than a few minutes (never 15 minutes). I avoid eye contact and can say I have never sprayed my eyes by accident. I also don't rub my eyes with my hands after I handle any potentially toxic product.

Also spray close to the object (like four inches off it) so that you get most of the spray on it and not in the air.

All common sense unless you don't know about it.

Bryce
Christopher Punty

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Break-Free dangerous? And other minor oil questions         Reply with quote

Robert Hinds wrote:

its pretty much harmless, I've used it to clean weapons for years. My take on the warnings are they are just cover your ass type stuff some corporate lawyer said would be a good idea to have on the package.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Break-Free dangerous? And other minor oil questions         Reply with quote

Christopher Punty wrote:

its pretty much harmless, I've used it to clean weapons for years. My take on the warnings are they are just cover your ass type stuff some corporate lawyer said would be a good idea to have on the package.

Sort of what I think as a high probability myself although some people may be sensitive to it and have an allergic reaction to it, but that is true for just about anything.

Never had a problem with it but then I don't spray it around like it was air freshener: I usually spray it onto a paper towel or facial tissue as it sort of foams out and use it more like something out of a bottle rather than spay all over the place.

I think that this way one can use or waste a lot less of it filling the room's air with chemicals.

No problem on my skin but obviously rubbing one's eyes with some Breakfree still on the hands is not recommended. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If skin contact with BreakFree is harmfull, then I am going to die.
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well its nice to know you guys don't think its a big issue, I was just worried that if I put it on my sword then half-sworded with it the next day my hands would turn red or something 15 minutes later...

Thanks for your input.

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

Well of course you are going to die: The question is when and caused by what hopefully many many decades from now. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Well of course you meant not from breakFree exposure and not soon. Razz

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

Well of course you are going to die: The question is when and caused by what hopefully many many decades from now. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

Well of course you meant not from breakFree exposure and not soon. Razz

Okay, let me rephrase that. Happy

If skin contact with BreakFree is harmfull, then I am going to die today.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just searching the internet for stuff on Break-Free and found this...

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17229928

I HIGHLY SUGGEST you read it if you use break free...some pretty odd stuff it can suposedly do to you...

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well irritation can all be in the dose, frequency of exposure, duration of exposure and the sensitivity to the product occurring which although a possibility may not be the same for everyone.

The animal testing may be extreme in that for a human it might correspond to taking daily baths in the stuff and not rinsing it off ?

On the other hand it would be prudent to avoid any contact when spraying it onto something and wash ones hands after.

The residual film left on the metal shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Just as an example I have had no apparent reactions to Breakfree but if I just sand rosewood the dust will make me break out in ugly red patches very quickly ! Allergic reactions can vary greatly from person to person.

I would worry more about excessive spraying in the air and breathing it in a closed space for long periods.

What doesn't kill you makes you rust proof. Wink Laughing Out Loud (Joke: To paraphrase the saying " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger " ).

Well not that we shouldn't question or take seriously your concerns about the safe use of Breakfree over long periods of time, but if it was extremely toxic a lot of us would already be dead ! If I take too much time worrying about stuff like this I would be too scared to get up in the morning ! How safe is the use of air freshener for example ?

David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I use the stuff by the gallon. Swords, knives, guns, you name it. Never noticed any ill effects....

... except insects seem to be attracted to it, land on the exposed, break-free-wet blades, and die....

Anyway. I just don't spray it directly into my eyes, or drink it straight, and I've had no problems.

But then, I'm the kinda guy who wishes they'd make a Hoppes #9 cologne....

Happy

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know its gotten in my food. I spray it over my kitchen sink. Come to think of it I do all my gluing, gun bluing, oiling, etc... in the kitchen. I never wash my hands after using it, just wipe 'em off on my shirt. I always rubbed down my eating knives with break-free until I heard it was bad for you. Know I use olive oil to oil any food related item.
Z
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not so much the skin irritation that i'm worried about, it's the immune system and liver dammage im concerned about...

I'm not sure rust proof armour is worth lessened disease resistance...

Then again those mice were sprayed with it every day for 90 days...it might be different if you just touch the dried stuff on your sword as opposed to mixing it with vodka and trying to make yourself rust proof...

Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Break-Free         Reply with quote

Robert,

Break-Free is as dangerous as you allow it to be..
Attributable to Paracelsus (?) ... "All is toxic, the dose makes the poison." Of course this varies with conditions, sensitivity, etc. Have used the stuff, but Common Sense Bulletin #1 told me to be cautious. Many of the MSDS and other safety pubs are based on the assumption that we are all idiots.

Cheers,
Dan
Christopher Punty

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

have you seen the MSDS for water?
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In 21 years of military service, I used probably a 55g drum of the stuff or more over time - and I never heard it was harmful nor suffered any ill-effects from it. It still use it to this day on my personal and duty firearms. Just don't drink it or anything stupid, and you will be fine.

Other petroleum based cleaners, preservatives, and chemicals have the same types of warning on them to negate liability in the case that something does happen to someone. I'd not worry about it.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Break-Free dangerous? And other minor oil questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic