Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Training Partners Sought [California] Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William F Cain III

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Training Partners Sought [California]         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

My name is William Cain, and I'm a student of Medieval Longsword (currently with a focus on the Liechtenauer and the English materials) living in California.

I live in a city called Apple Valley, near Victorville, Hesperia, and to an extent San Bernardino. I currently do not know of anyone who lives in my immediate area that practices the Knightly Arts as it were, and I was wondering if anyone happened to know of someone who could help.

I intend to travel to Los Angeles every so often to train with the Kron Martial arts folks, as well as others in the area, but that is a substantial drive and I was hoping for a more local group to study with as well.

Thanks in advance, and if this is an inappropriate thread for this forum I'll delete it posthaste.

regards,

William

Do right, there is nothing else.
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Training Partners Sought [California]         Reply with quote

William F Cain III wrote:
Hello everyone,

My name is William Cain, and I'm a student of Medieval Longsword (currently with a focus on the Liechtenauer and the English materials) living in California.

I live in a city called Apple Valley, near Victorville, Hesperia, and to an extent San Bernardino. I currently do not know of anyone who lives in my immediate area that practices the Knightly Arts as it were, and I was wondering if anyone happened to know of someone who could help.

I intend to travel to Los Angeles every so often to train with the Kron Martial arts folks, as well as others in the area, but that is a substantial drive and I was hoping for a more local group to study with as well.

Thanks in advance, and if this is an inappropriate thread for this forum I'll delete it posthaste.

regards,

William

Hi William,

I have a class in Moreno Valley, which isn't far from San Bernadino. In fact, I have several students who live in San Bernadino, too.

Our Schule focuses exclusively on the Liechtenauer school of combat. We attempt to cover all of the forms of combat a medieval knight would need to know for foot combat, so we practice longsword, sword and buckler, grappling, and dagger out of armor and pollaxe, spear, halfsword, grappling and dagger in armor. We don't practice mounted combat at this time, however I am currently working on that subject with some professional jousters, so that may change eventually.

You can read more about who we are and what we do on our web page:
www.schlachtschule.org
or I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Our classes meet every Wednesday evening and two Sundays per month. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
William F Cain III

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the prompt reply, Mr Knight.

Moreno Valley isn't terribly far from Apple Valley. I may just come by to visit, never hurts to meet new folk.

Does your group require a fee, or assess tuition for long periods of training? It will not be a problem if you do, I'm quite the capitalist myself, but I do need to be judicious with my money so I feel it prudent to ask.

Additionally, at the moment I have assorted equipment for training, including a wooden waster and a Tinker Pearce blunt longsword (CAS/Hanwei make), as well as a 3W fencing mask.

From what I hear, die Schlachtschule does not engage in blossfechten freeplay so I will be leaving my freeplay oriented gear (elbow pads, gloves) behind out of deference to your school's tradition if I come visit. We may disagree, but there's no call for me to be disrespectful, hey?

Thank you again for the invitation, I look forward to speaking more in the future.

Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the prompt reply, Mr Knight.

Moreno Valley isn't terribly far from Apple Valley. I may just come by to visit, never hurts to meet new folk.

You will be welcome.

Quote:
Does your group require a fee, or assess tuition for long periods of training? It will not be a problem if you do, I'm quite the capitalist myself, but I do need to be judicious with my money so I feel it prudent to ask.

Yes, the fee is $10.00/class.

Quote:
Additionally, at the moment I have assorted equipment for training, including a wooden waster and a Tinker Pearce blunt longsword (CAS/Hanwei make), as well as a 3W fencing mask.

We have everything you'd need for practice except the mask, so you wouldn't need to bring anything except that. We use Purpleheart wasters for pell work and for halfsword practice and we use A&A Fechterspiels for longsword practice, and we have spears, daggers and pollaxes too.

Quote:
From what I hear, die Schlachtschule does not engage in blossfechten freeplay so I will be leaving my freeplay oriented gear (elbow pads, gloves) behind out of deference to your school's tradition if I come visit. We may disagree, but there's no call for me to be disrespectful, hey?

No, we do not practice Bloßfechten free play, and a student must have a full harness and several years practice in heavy drills before practicing Harnischfechten free play, so you can leave most of that at home. Some folks wear gloves to minimize nicks when practicing slicing longsword techniques, but that's about it. If you have a good helmet and gauntlets, however, they would help for armored classes but are certainly not necessary.

Quote:
Thank you again for the invitation, I look forward to speaking more in the future.

You're welcome.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
William F Cain III

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been eager to try out the Fechterspiel for quite some time, how interesting.

Thank you for the information, I will see about coming down at some point soon to visit.

Of course, I also will happily seek further information from others in the area as well for contact. It can never hurt to have as many contacts as possible.

Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been eager to try out the Fechterspiel for quite some time, how interesting.

It is fantastic, and it is the only steel trainer I allow in my classes.

Quote:
Thank you for the information, I will see about coming down at some point soon to visit.

Good, we look forward to seeing you.

Quote:
Of course, I also will happily seek further information from others in the area as well for contact. It can never hurt to have as many contacts as possible.

I don't know of any others in *our* area, however, Brian Stokes operates Schola San Marco in northern San Diego, and Chris Vivo operates the Academy of European Fighting Arts in LA. Both are very serious and skilled teachers. Brian's school focuses exclusively on Fiore, and Chris' school mixes things up with a variety of styles. Brian shares my opinion against unarmored free play, but Chris does not (but he's a good guy anyway).

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
William F Cain III

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Couple brief questions here.

First, just a bump to continue advertising for folk in SoCal who are interested in training with someone near Apple Valley.

Second, just a question to Mr. Knight, when is your next Sunday practice?

Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Second, just a question to Mr. Knight, when is your next Sunday practice?

Hello,

Our next class is this coming Sunday, 14 November. Unfortunately, it will be somewhat abbreviated as several members all have a social event they must attend that day, but we'll still be there. After that things get a bit dicey because of the upcoming holidays.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
William F Cain III

PostPosted: Sat 13 Nov, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drat, I shall not be able to make it tomorrow.

Attending a conference related to my job work this weekend, and I don't think I can justify a fencing class detour on the expenses report.

Perhaps after the holidays.

Regards,

William

Ryan McLaurin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello gentlemen. I live in Riverside, which is next door to Moreno Valley. In fact, I currently work in Moreno Valley. It is good to know that there are fellow enthusiasts in my area.

Mr. Knight: Didn't the local newspaper do an article earlier this year on the classes you teach? I remember reading an article, but I don't know if it was about you or someone else (I'm guessing it was you.....I mean really, how likely is it there is more than one western martial arts instructor in Moreno Valley? Wink ). I remember thinking I should look into it, but I misplaced the article and forgot about it. This thread sparked my memory. Unfortunately for me, the class times you have won't work with my current schedule. Ah well.....Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future. At least for now I can bookmark your web site.
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan McLaurin wrote:
Hello gentlemen. I live in Riverside, which is next door to Moreno Valley. In fact, I currently work in Moreno Valley. It is good to know that there are fellow enthusiasts in my area.

Mr. Knight: Didn't the local newspaper do an article earlier this year on the classes you teach? I remember reading an article, but I don't know if it was about you or someone else (I'm guessing it was you.....I mean really, how likely is it there is more than one western martial arts instructor in Moreno Valley? Wink ). I remember thinking I should look into it, but I misplaced the article and forgot about it. This thread sparked my memory. Unfortunately for me, the class times you have won't work with my current schedule. Ah well.....Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future. At least for now I can bookmark your web site.

Hi Ryan,

Yes, the Press Enterprise did a very nice article about us a year or so ago. Our classes are every Wednesday evening and every 2nd and 4th Sunday afternoon. If your schedule changes, get in touch and we'll be happy to have you come join us.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Training Partners Sought [California]
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic