Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Walter S

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem         Reply with quote

I designed myself a heraldic emblem of dragon to be used on a shield. I would be interested in hearing what do you think about it.

Attachment: 65.79 KB
dragonshield_256.png

Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem         Reply with quote

Walter S wrote:
I designed myself a heraldic emblem of dragon to be used on a shield. I would be interested in hearing what do you think about it.

Ah... The old BullWorm emblem. It looks great. I've tried to design a logo for my sword group on several occasions but I have no artistic talent or any sense for graphic design software.

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks pretty cool to me!
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
J.E. Sweeney

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i love it - cheers
- JESW
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love it and it also sort of has a bat like look plus a little bull mixed in. Cool

I also like it just as a drawing and design: Nice use of positive and negative space i.e. good composition very aesthetically pleasing. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll go against the grain and say that while I like it from an artistic and coolness standpoint, it has a look that is more modern than historical. So if your intent was something that wouldn't look out of place in reenactment, etc., this might not work. For display or to carry around the faire, it's great. Happy

It's still much better artwork than I could come up with!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Walter S

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I'll go against the grain and say that while I like it from an artistic and coolness standpoint, it has a look that is more modern than historical. So if your intent was something that wouldn't look out of place in reenactment, etc., this might not work. For display or to carry around the faire, it's great. Happy

It's still much better artwork than I could come up with!

You are right, it doesn't have the feel of period art, however that was sort of the point. I might try to make more period looking version too - probably with the dragon dexter segreant and with more "curly" lines.
Daniel Patrick O'Brien

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem         Reply with quote

For a black beast I'd choose a white or yellow backgroud,just to keep it within the rules of blazon, which state "no colour upon colour, no metal upon metal" -a matter of contrast. This would make it look more historical. But... it is your shield, it's up to you.
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem         Reply with quote

Daniel Patrick O'Brien wrote:
...the rules of blazon...

Do you have more information on these rules? As a graphic designer I too have dabbled in my own heraldry and would welcome information that lays out guidelines historically.

Ut ferreus caput capitis quod stabilis terminatio
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem         Reply with quote

Richard Schneider wrote:

Do you have more information on these rules? As a graphic designer I too have dabbled in my own heraldry and would welcome information that lays out guidelines historically.

I have many books in my reading list that cover basic heraldry. Most are inexpensive and worth a read. The rules vary by continent, country, region and century. There used to be some freeware on the web for basic heraldry, I'm not sure if the site is still up or not. As a side note, there is a graphic designer who makes a profit by turning out high quality devices for people.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Scott.
Ut ferreus caput capitis quod stabilis terminatio
Walter S

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem         Reply with quote

For a black beast I'd choose a white or yellow backgroud,just to keep it within the rules of blazon, which state "no colour upon colour, no metal upon metal" -a matter of contrast. This would make it look more historical. But... it is your shield, it's up to you.

That is not necessarily true in this case - outside of western Europe, sable/black is sometimes considered fur and can be placed on gules/red. For example as on flag of Albania.

Richard Schneider wrote:

You can also find quite a bit of information about heraldry on wikipedia.
James Anderson III

PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Richard Schneider wrote:

I have many books in my reading list that cover basic heraldry. Most are inexpensive and worth a read. The rules vary by continent, country, region and century. There used to be some freeware on the web for basic heraldry, I'm not sure if the site is still up or not. As a side note, there is a graphic designer who makes a profit by turning out high quality devices for people.

I have used this one, which just runs on java and doesn't require any installs (if you have java, of course):

http://www.inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/free_coads.shtml

I have not used it extensively, but enough to come up with my own heraldry, and general poke-around-ness. I also like that it uses some of the heraldry terms when picking out the charges, colors, and such.

Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great graphic image, but as has been said before, a little modern for re-enactment, but great for faires, etc...

It *did* however remind me of the Bacardi logo...

Attachment: 59.58 KB
bacardilogo2008.jpg

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Bacardi Bat?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinion on heraldic dragon emblem
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic