Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Loctite on threaded pommels Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Loctite on threaded pommels         Reply with quote

Hello
I read somewhere, that some use, Loctite, on the threads ,of thier threaded pommeled swords. What type?The superglue,the two part epoxy resin,or some other type?

Thanks in advance
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Loctite on threaded pommels         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
I read somewhere, that some use, Loctite, on the threads ,of thier threaded pommeled swords. What type?The superglue,the two part epoxy resin,or some other type?

Thanks in advance

Well the blue locktite keeps the threads from loosening but with a bit of force one can still take the sword apart.

With epoxy or super glue one will have a hard time taking anything apart and might even damage a sword in the attempt.

I think heating the pommel can loosen or ruin the hold of the epoxy but the heat could also damage the handle although the heat needed shouldn't be high enough to ruin the heat treatment of the tang or blade. ( Never tried it but I think the temperature is around 135 degrees which is not that hot if it's 135 degrees F.
( 135 degrees C is over the boiling point of water ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Christopher Punty

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blue locktite is the stuff you want, the red locktite usually requires heat to remove the nut if you decide you need to. I've never actually used it on swords, but use blue locktite regularly on guns.
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've used the blue on swords used in stage combat. Works pretty darn well.

Also have used thread tape, which is less effective, but also less messy and less permanent, if that's what you're after.

Selohaar Fechtschule, Free Scholar
http://www.selohaar.org/fechtschule

Fühlen Designs, Owner/Designer/Seamstress
http://fuhlendesigns.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
I have not used locktite... but I have used two part clear epoxy. Here's what i have done. Keep in mind the point of the epoxy isn't to hold the whole sword together, so only use a small amount on the nut itself. If/When I want to remove the nut what I do is wrap a wet cloth around the pommel (the sword is vertical in a padded vise). I use a small torch to heat the nut (they are referred to as pen torches, mini blow torches, etc. The one I have is actually a crème brûlée torch, I like it because it can just be flipped on and off without a need for a flint-striker) once the nut is hot I unscrew it as normal. If it won't come off it just needs a little more heat.
Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Loctite on threaded pommels         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello

Thanks in advance

Karl, to be clear, the stuff you want is a 'thread locker' not the superglue made by loctite (who do make a thread lock product too). Threadlock is used to prevent screw fastenings from loosening due to vibration (I use it on my mountain bike for example). It is intended to be used when you want to unscrew the thread in the future as it will 'unlock' under the torque from a screwdriver or Allen key.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Neil.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Loctite on threaded pommels         Reply with quote

Neil Langley wrote:
Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello

Thanks in advance

Karl, to be clear, the stuff you want is a 'thread locker' not the superglue made by loctite (who do make a thread lock product too). Threadlock is used to prevent screw fastenings from loosening due to vibration (I use it on my mountain bike for example). It is intended to be used when you want to unscrew the thread in the future as it will 'unlock' under the torque from a screwdriver or Allen key.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Neil.

Yeah it's very important not to mix those up...I knew somebody who mixed them up when told to use loctite on his bike. Very bad mojo :P .

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Loctite on threaded pommels
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic