Poleaxe sling?
Hi folks,

I was just reading through the deeds of Jacques de Lalaing, and found a reference to a poleaxe sling. This piqued my interest enormously, so I thought I'd ask here. From the duel versus the Scottish Douglas clan:

Quote:
And on the other part came Herves de Meriadet and the Scotsman came to hit Meriadet with a push of the lance; but Meriadet turned aside the blow with the handle of his axe, so that the lance fell out of the hands of the Scotsman and Meriadet followed up so vigorously that before the Scotsman was able to unsling his axe he entered within, and with a throw carried him to earth .

Any idea what such a sling would have looked like, and how it was worn?

Regards,
Re: Poleaxe sling?
Jason G. Smith wrote:
Hi folks,

I was just reading through the deeds of Jacques de Lalaing, and found a reference to a poleaxe sling. This piqued my interest enormously, so I thought I'd ask here. From the duel versus the Scottish Douglas clan:

Quote:
And on the other part came Herves de Meriadet and the Scotsman came to hit Meriadet with a push of the lance; but Meriadet turned aside the blow with the handle of his axe, so that the lance fell out of the hands of the Scotsman and Meriadet followed up so vigorously that before the Scotsman was able to unsling his axe he entered within, and with a throw carried him to earth .

Any idea what such a sling would have looked like, and how it was worn?

Regards,

Wow as many times as I've read that I never noticed that before. I'll keep my eyes open.
Jason, I have one good reference book regarding pole slings, but I don't recall reading about poleaxe slings. Let me review the book (title forgotten now) early this week. This is very interesting! :)
Like this?

Attachment: 107.39 KB
n829230353_661192_748.jpg

Well a pole sling is a rock throwing thing on a pole. ;) :lol:

The sling on a Poleaxe may be a carrying device like a rifle sling to carry the Poleaxe or have the Poleaxe on one's shoulder while using other weapons ? I could see this useful for a bowman or a crossbowman to carry a Poleaxe in addition to his primary missile weapon: When the enemy got too close for comfort or to loose another arrow or bolt one would drop the bow/crossbow and unsling the Poleaxe. :?:

I could see this also useful with a spear or just a long handled axe.
Indeed, just to be clear - are there any illustrations or other references to a carrying strap/sling for poleaxes. I didn't mean to imply slings on the top of poleaxes (as in for throwing rocks.)

Regards,
Jason
Elling Polden wrote:
Like this?

Interesting. What's the source for that, Elling? It would likely be something similar, but we're talking 15th century in the case of the poleaxe.
Jason G. Smith wrote:
Elling Polden wrote:
Like this?

Interesting. What's the source for that, Elling? It would likely be something similar, but we're talking 15th century in the case of the poleaxe.

Boredom, mostly... ;)
Does it specify in the text that it is POLEaxe? It could be a one handed axe, carried in a strap on the belt or saddle...
Elling Polden wrote:
Jason G. Smith wrote:
Elling Polden wrote:
Like this?

Boredom, mostly... ;)
Does it specify in the text that it is POLEaxe? It could be a one handed axe, carried in a strap on the belt or saddle...

LOL! Gotcha.

The terms of the engagement was combat with poleaxes, sword, spear and dagger, so poleaxe it is!

Best,

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: