Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Spiked Mace first impressions.Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: A&A Spiked Mace first impressions.         Reply with quote

A&A Spiked Mace first impressions: Short version, WOW !

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole004.html

Longer version: First why did I wait so many years before deciding to buy this one ........ I think I just found a new best friend or my first choice in period for a close/medium range backup or primary weapon.

One thing we don't really think of first with one of these is cutting test. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud But the two inch point at the top just tore multiple slashes into the box it came in with little or no effort. The point just tears into the cardboard in an impressive tip cut which because it's backed up by the weight of the head sail through as if nothing was there ! Very interesting fighting technique potential here. Eek!

All the other small spikes may be there mostly to concentrate force on one point but they would also have some nasty tearing potential with a grazing near miss.

I could also see the points being used as small hooks to trap, hook or deflect other weapons or grab at the edges of plate armour to pull and control.

Sliding one's grip on the handle gives a lot of potential fluidity of action. The steel handle could also be used for blocking and parrying like a very short staff or using some of the dagger techniques one can use with the longer Rondel daggers when the dagger is held with a hand on the handle and a hand holding the point.

A few statistics:

Total length: 26" on my Spiked mace, although I have read it as being 24" in other sources.

Point of balance: Approximately 9" down from the tip of the top spike.

Diameter of ball: 2"

Diameter of ball + spikes, spike tip to spike tip:3 1/4" approximately.

Top spike length: 2"

Handle diameter: 3/4"

Weight: 3 pounds 4 oz.

Rondel/guard/pommel ( Not sure what to call these ): Diameter 1 1/4" and 3/8" to 1/2" thick ( Pommel one thicker at base ).

Handling/presence: A great deal, after all it's a mace, but depending on arm strength should be recoverable for a fast return blow. Varying one's hand position one can get more control by shifting ones grip up the handle.

The small rondel like guard can also be fingered for more control.

Use of both hands to increase force of blows, recover quickly and to use it using short bäton/staff techniques are also options: I can see holding the mace with one hand just below the head and the other at the other end on the handle one could use the head in close quarter fighting in a way similar way to a pommel strike.

Finish is a nice satin over the handle but the head does show signs of it being a casting but I find this very acceptable and makes more sense aesthetically than a perfect finish that would look too much like a modern machine made weapon.

I may decide to eventually blue the steel of the entire mace and possibly cover the handle with a braided leather thong or cord wrap ...... not sure about this as it might look good and give a better grip but the smooth handle has advantages for changing and sliding one's grip on the handle.

As a comparison of handling I would say that this one feels just a little more authoritative in presence than the A&A Warhammer and subjectively it just feels lively and is very hard to put down and not play with it.

I was considering buying one of these in 2005 and then other project took priority, but if I had handled it at the time I would have " JUMPED " on it and bought it right away.

The dimension statistics and the pics of it on the site make it look smaller than it feels. The head is not " gynormous " like some hollow steel Indian spike maces but in hand and right in front of me looks and feel much more impressive than I imagined just from the pics.

My recommendation" Buy it, BUY IT NOW ! Wink Happy Cool I'm happy, very happy with this purchase. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

EDITED: Oh, I think these are still available on the A&A available for immediate shipping page. ( Note the link on that page to the Spiked Mace has a typo as to product number and doesn't work but the link to the Spikes Mace on the Polearm page ).

( EDITED 2: For typos, now corrected, and I forgot to mention the Warhammer in comparison in handling ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sun 10 Oct, 2010 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Considering it the idea and re-evaluating, I think I won't be bluing this one as it really looks too good as it is now.

I might still try a leather wrap around the handle but would make it easy to remove i.e. not glue it onto the steel but just use leather laces to do a wrap and see if I prefer the handling with a larger diameter to hold on to.

No wrap and being able to slide one's grip easily has it's advantages and a mace like this can be used in much more fluid and creative ways that simplistic bludgeoning. I can even imagine using a mix or some lognsword techniques, staff and short baton techniques like I mentioned in my first post.

I wonder how difficult it would be for a longsword to deflect a blow from such a mace once it attained some speed.

Tactically the longswordsman has a good range advantage but an armoured mace wielding opponent would have to be stopped quickly and effectively otherwise he would be able to close the distance and be able to strike without any very effective opposition.

If well armoured and using a steel rotella + the mace against which a longswordman would have a very difficult time of it since a sword is not that effective against the well armoured to quickly stop a fight I think: Things would quickly get into wresting distance and the mace if not avoided, voided or controlled would be a fearsome thing to oppose i.e. except for maybe a Poleaxe I'm guessing that steel rotella and mace ( or war hammer ) would be very much the best way to arm oneself for very close combat in armour and it would also be very scary for the lightly or not armoured to face.

I have this one with the spike: http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/product_inf...ucts_id=77

The sword is more for unarmoured work and as a backup useful against the other less well armoured foes one might meet in a large battle.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to have to add this to my "want" list along with the other A&A short hafted weapons.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My humble suggestion on facing that mace with a langenschwert; cut where ever the mace is not. ie. if the mace is swung overhand, cut at the opponent's legs. Also, wait until the mace goes by then bind the shaft or arm with your blade/hilt or go for a trap or compliance hold with your off hand while thrusting/slicing/cutting with the blade. I would avoid direct blocks of the mace with the blade unless it's your only choice and then I'd try for a glancing deflection with the half sword. Or of course you could just run away.
"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll definately concur with what you've said about the mace so far, Jean. I certainly wouldn't want to be up against someone wielding it!

I don't know if it's an issue of my lack of arm strength, but the all-steel handle feels difficult to maintain a solid grip on if you make a dedicated swing in one hand, while a fully dedicated double-handed swing becomes that much more encumbrant. Using it with one hand on the designated handle and the other just below the mace head, like you also mentioned, feels a lot more fluent and interesting.

I am also quite happy with this mace and would certainly recommend it to anyone that's looking for some handy destructive power. Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 22 Oct, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Emil Andersson wrote:
I'll definately concur with what you've said about the mace so far, Jean. I certainly wouldn't want to be up against someone wielding it!

I don't know if it's an issue of my lack of arm strength, but the all-steel handle feels difficult to maintain a solid grip on if you make a dedicated swing in one hand, while a fully dedicated double-handed swing becomes that much more encumbrant. Using it with one hand on the designated handle and the other just below the mace head, like you also mentioned, feels a lot more fluent and interesting.

I am also quite happy with this mace and would certainly recommend it to anyone that's looking for some handy destructive power. Big Grin

The handle is of a small diameter and in some ways a thicker handle might be easier to wield but on the other hand I find that the small handle diameter lets me do snapping strikes by suddenly tightening my grip.

The weight can be a challenge but ( sorry for bragging ) I can do a few rep doing a hammer curl with 120 pounds and 5 or 6 reps in strict fashion at 75 pounds not using momentum. Now even 3 or 4 pounds becomes challenging at the end of a two foot handle but I can swing the mace at close to full speed and do a dead stop when I need to. Also, fatigue can set in quickly. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ( Note hammer curls not regular curls where 45 to 50 pounds become my max ).

But combined with a buckler or rondace/rotella in the other hand to take care of defensive moves I expect that a longswordsman would have to get me first before I closed in. And as I mentioned before if used alone I would alternate using it one handed and using close range two handed short staff techniques to block and parry which would compensate for any slowness one handed use.

Oh, and wearing substantial armour would be just a good as using a shield with less armour.

Note: Facing someone similarly armed or with a poleaxe would be challenging.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Spiked Mace first impressions.Product Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic