Hand protection at Bannockburn
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help me find out what kind of armour was worn on the hands of Scottish spearmen at the battle of Bannockburn? I've heard many times that Robert the Bruce made laws about how his men were to be armed, and if I remember right everyone was to have a spear, a helm, a gambesson, and some sort of metal hand protection. Does anyone know what from this hand armour would have taken, would it have been mail mittens, or leather gloves with steel plates sowed on, or would it have been something else completely, or perhaps there were many different types.
While leather gloves with metal plates attached to them is possible, maille mittens seems the most plausible interpretation of the required hand protection.

It is also worth noting that the laws that mention requiring them, postdate the battle and therefore may not reflect the standard equipment at the battle. Certainly some was worn, and these laws were an attempt to encourage a greater standard of equipment for future conflicts.
Thanks for the reply Johann, I was thinking that mail mittens were the most likely candidate, but has anyone ever seen period evidence of mail mittens being used as stand alone armour?
Stephen Curtin wrote:
has anyone ever seen period evidence of mail mittens being used as stand alone armour?

Take a look at San Gordon's attachment in my maille gauntlets thread. It's a picture from the Codex Manesse that shows one figure wearing a maille coif and gauntlets, but no hauberk.
Thanks Sander this is exactly what I was looking for :-)
mail needs padding to give efficient padding against hard strikes, and propperly padded gloves are harder to make than mittens. Hand protection does not appear to have been prioritzed, as is is pretty much the last body armour to be developed. Most reenactors regard gloves/mitens as safety equipment, and settle for "not out of place" rather than authentic.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: