Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Book: Spirit of the Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Vince Evans
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Sep, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: New Book: Spirit of the Sword         Reply with quote

Krause Publications has just released a new book called "Spirit of the Sword, A Celebration of Artistry and Craftsmanship" also available through Amazon. It is a look at modern swords and swordmakers.

http://www.krausebooks.com/product/spirit-of-...nife-books
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Sep, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Book: Spirit of the Sword         Reply with quote

Vince Evans wrote:
Krause Publications has just released a new book called "Spirit of the Sword, A Celebration of Artistry and Craftsmanship" also available through Amazon. It is a look at modern swords and swordmakers.

Thanks for the heads up! One less book is now available to other myA forumites. Wink

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Vince, thanks for the heads up. Would I be wrong in assuming that you had a hand in making this book. Perhaps you could give us a little more info on whats in it.
Éirinn go Brách
Vince Evans
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you go to Amazon’s listing for this book, there is a section called “Inside This Book” in which you can see the Table of Contents and some of the pages. I contributed one article but that was the extent of my involvement with the book. There are articles plus an extensive directory of current sword makers with a lot of photos.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I’ve just completed my review of “Spirit of the Sword” in the books section of myArmoury.

In short, the book is a great value for the price and I would recommend it to others even though, in my opinion, it has one glaring problem.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sun 03 Oct, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
I’ve just completed my review of “Spirit of the Sword” in the books section of myArmoury.

In short, the book is a great value for the price and I would recommend it to others even though, in my opinion, it has one glaring problem.

Agreed. Very good book, lots of nice (*drool*) pics, and worthwhile articles that can appeal to a broad range of interests, from the entry-level person who is uneducated about swords to the more advanced collector/martial artist.

But I was disturbed and disappointed by that one "glaring problem". Perhaps it was a mistake; there were lots of names in that directory, maybe it just got skipped in the rush to publish. In any case, hopefully this omission will be rectified in a future edition....

In any event, I STILL recommend it.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Oct, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also agree! Great book save the one issue. If anyone is looking for a resource on makers and/or is considering commisioning one of them, or if you just want to treat yourself to some eye candy and some insight into these artisan's craft, this book is a must have.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The articles are nice, but in the long run its the second half - the index of manufactorers with some commentaries and pictures - that will keep me looking back as a reference work. I especially like to know how different people make their swords.

But besides A&A, there are other huge ommissions - like Del Tin and Windlass (although their American subsidary is listed), as well as newer makers like Ollin Sword Designs and Michael Pikula that are highly respected around here.

Some day it would be good to see an expanded edition that fills in those holes and adds more interviews/pictures - like an encylopedia of modern sword design. That would be a must-have for any collector.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Book: Spirit of the Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic