Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Show Us Your Baskethilts
I don'y have any, but I'd like to see yours. Post some pics?
I'll get this rolling!

[ Linked Image ]

Here's some of my old topics:

The Scottish Hoard
My collection of schiavone
Germanic basket-hilts from EB Erickson
A Bunch of Baskets
My Germanic basket-hilt from E.B. Erickson
ok here goes

Here are some I've been working on - lots to be done yet but I'm only after a 'munition quality' type!

Attachment: 87.78 KB
IMG_1906.jpg

Attachment: 86.78 KB
S8300698 (2).jpg

Attachment: 54.29 KB
S8300718.jpg

Attachment: 58.49 KB
S8300714.jpg

Attachment: 101.86 KB
S8300701 (2).jpg

Here's my ElJay basket with my targe and a Vince Evans dirk.

Attachment: 227.27 KB
IMG_0271.JPG

My two beak nosed ribbon hilts.
Left hand is made by Eljay with a John Lundemo blade. The sword is based on the sword that's at display in the National Museum of Scotland, also seen in the Wallace book. Right hand Donnie Shearer with Del Tin blade. This one has seen some battle in my hand ;)
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Cheers,
Henrik
Stephen Wheatley wrote:
Here are some I've been working on - lots to be done yet but I'm only after a 'munition quality' type!

Very nice. I like the rough munition grade look. What regiment do you reenact with?
And who has made these?

Cheers,
Henrik
My favorite 18th century sword in my collection, an English dragoon's basket hilt of Mazansky type G16, c.1750:

Here are 3 baskethilts

Attachment: 43.64 KB
eljay basket hilt2.jpg
ElJay English baskethilt

Attachment: 94.73 KB
dt5173bj.jpg
Del Tin DT5173 Schiavona

Attachment: 104.05 KB
hfd003s.jpg
Arms & Armor quarter basket with pierced side-ring plates
Thanks Henrik - love the ribbon hilts
Tak tak Henrik - I make them myself - I have a few in various stages of making, none finished as yet. I'm not a re-enactor so they'll all be sharp when they go up on my wall! You look like your area of interest is the '45 - lovely weapons, although I like the simpler English stuff of 100 years earlier, (Swedish and Dutch too for that matter, all good simple protestant functionality!).

See you're in S Norway, great place - jeg var fem wintra i Troms og Hardanger - up the jokull med vor fallskirmregiment i 80arene although as you can see I never got the chance to learn Norse properly - think in Saxon and alter the words a bit and we could just about make sense of a newspaper!

Do you reenact as a Jacobite? How about Sinclair hilts - remember seeing a few of those in Oslo once. Would gladly go back to Norway; much nicer than where we get sent these days.

Best wishes fra din Engelske vennar![/quote]
Re: Thanks Henrik - love the ribbon hilts
Stephen Wheatley wrote:
Tak tak Henrik - I make them myself - I have a few in various stages of making, none finished as yet. I'm not a re-enactor so they'll all be sharp when they go up on my wall! You look like your area of interest is the '45 - lovely weapons, although I like the simpler English stuff of 100 years earlier, (Swedish and Dutch too for that matter, all good simple protestant functionality!).

See you're in S Norway, great place - jeg var fem wintra i Troms og Hardanger - up the jokull med vor fallskirmregiment i 80arene although as you can see I never got the chance to learn Norse properly - think in Saxon and alter the words a bit and we could just about make sense of a newspaper!

Do you reenact as a Jacobite? How about Sinclair hilts - remember seeing a few of those in Oslo once. Would gladly go back to Norway; much nicer than where we get sent these days.

Best wishes fra din Engelske vennar!
[/quote]
Really!? They look like they will turn out very nicely. There are too few people thinking out of the box and making those types of baskets. Good on ye! Make sure you let me see how they turn out when you're done :-)
I'm in the process of converting a simple conventianal Scottish basket hilt at the moment into something a bit more spanking and adding a rayskin covered handle. A really fun project. Alongside making dirks for my reenactment mates.

Yes, I reenact the '45 rising in the UK. So I go over for a few events every year. Can't find a reason for reenacting the Jacobite stuff here. After all, only David Lord Ogilvie only came to Bergen and got arrested.
It's actually not bad Scandinavian you've written there.

Sorry, but I mistook you for a reenactor because of the first picture. It just looked like used Civil War gear :)

Cheers,
Henrik
Okay... I like to share the joy.....

Attachment: 99.49 KB
1216BedofcustomBH1.jpg

Attachment: 93.3 KB
EricksonShilt5.jpg

Great looking baskets!

Here is the only Baskethilt I have.

It is a hybrid with a Cold Steel Scottish Basket and a MRL Cutlass Blade.

ks

Attachment: 137.01 KB
ColdSteelMRLHybrid...jpg

Attachment: 139.62 KB
ColdSteelMRL.Hybrid.jpg

Hello
My ArmArt/Darkwood Armory,walloon.And my Cervenka/ATRim, shell guard saber.I`am not sure if the saber would fit the baskethilt catagory though.But it was in the pic:-)

Attachment: 64.14 KB
#1.JPG

My Precious !! :D Darkwood Armory Early English Baskethilt with an Atrim 1211 blade.

Darkwood Armory baskethilt and pommel with Atrim blade, with Matt Bunker leatherwork- it's lot less pink in real life!
I dunno Phil I reckon a man of your build could carry off pink =o) .....I know, stop mucking about on forums and get the hat finished...I'm going, I'm going.
Phil Crawley wrote:
Darkwood Armory baskethilt and pommel with Atrim blade, with Matt Bunker leatherwork- it's lot less pink in real life!]

Hmmmm..... That's the strangest dyed leather I've seen with such a masculin weapon. What had you drunk when you ordered this?
I really like the hilt. Do you use this with your Border Reiver stuff?

David, you should really bring those swords out in the sun for a photoshoot. I feel I'm missing so many lovely details in your beautyful collection...

Kirk, that Sinclair hanger looks interesting and to me it is a basket hilt. Who made it?

Cheers,
Henrik
Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
Phil Crawley wrote:
Darkwood Armory baskethilt and pommel with Atrim blade, with Matt Bunker leatherwork- it's lot less pink in real life!]

Hmmmm..... That's the strangest dyed leather I've seen with such a masculin weapon. What had you drunk when you ordered this?
I really like the hilt. Do you use this with your Border Reiver stuff?

It's lot redder in real life, and ,yep, it's for doing reiver stuff with, used with a targe it makes a very nice combination.
Here is my, I would say, like Stephen, "munition quality" custom early ribbon baskethilt on a Windlass Sword of Granson blade:

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: