Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Historical books on swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dean L.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Historical books on swords         Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new here. This is a wonderful looking site.

I am interested in acquiring some high quality (well regarded) books on the history of swords. I would like a span of primarily written work to books with excellent graphics. Era? probably 400-1500 AD.
I enjoy research and collecting books. My intention is to continue making Bowie knives and leather work but I might take a stab at a sword in the future.

Recommendations would be appreciated-

So far I only have:
Records of the Medieval Sword
Geschichte der Dänen

I am trying to get these from the library if possible before purchasing :
Die Germanische Tierornamentik Der Valkerwanderungszeit: Studien Zu Salin's Stil I (Vorgeschichtliche Forschungen) (need to see if it is available for less than $630)
Illerup Adal Volumes 11 & 12 (reasonable price but it is tempting to get the whole set)

Thank you!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anything by Ewart Oakeshott is worth owning. Petersen's work on Viking age weapons is excellent as well.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a start:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_books_team.html

My own choices have evolved along with my library, but all of these are still good to have.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Werner Stiegler

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Historical books on swords         Reply with quote

Dean L. wrote:

Die Germanische Tierornamentik Der Valkerwanderungszeit: Studien Zu Salin's Stil I (Vorgeschichtliche Forschungen) (need to see if it is available for less than $630)
Illerup Adal Volumes 11 & 12 (reasonable price but it is tempting to get the whole set)
Why would you get a book about animal ornaments if you're looking for texts about arms? Better go for something like Die Schwerter und Schwertknäufe der Sammlung Carl von Schwerzenbach, Bregenz ? you can probably get it via inter-library loan from the Vorarlberger Landesbibliothek.
Dean L.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Historical books on swords         Reply with quote

Werner Stiegler wrote:
Dean L. wrote:

Why would you get a book about animal ornaments if you're looking for texts about arms? Better go for something like Die Schwerter und Schwertknäufe der Sammlung Carl von Schwerzenbach, Bregenz ? you can probably get it via inter-library loan from the Vorarlberger Landesbibliothek.

I got those two references above from a Nationally acclaimed swordmaker. Is the first book about "animal ornaments"? I do see images of sword emblems in t apreview of this book.

I have added:

-The Book of the Sword: With 293 Illustrations

-The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England: Its Archaeology and Literature

-The Archaeology of Weapons: Arms and Armour from Prehistory to the Age of Chivalry

-British Iron Age Swords And Scabbards

-A Knight and His Weapons

-European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution

-Swords of the Viking Age

I have been advised to look at the "Wallace Collection" catalogues and the "Poldi Pezzoli Museum" catalogues.

Thanks
Dean
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you looked at our BOOKS SECTION? It has suggested reading lists, an entire bibliography, book reviews, book suggestions, member reading lists, suggested reading, book ratings, and all kinds of other things.

Check it out. There's some great stuff there in my humble opinion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Historical books on swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic