Mortuary Sword at Tojhusmuseum
I have been looking at as many examples of Mortuary swords as I can find. The finest that I have come across is pictured in the article, "English swords, 1600-1650", by John Hayward, here at myArmoury in the Features section. The sword currently resides at the Tojhusmuseum (Tojhusmuseet) in Copenhagen.

Does anyone have, or know where I can find, more photographs showing different views of this Mortuary sword? Perhaps it shows up in Mazansky's British Baskethilt book.

Attachment: 72.54 KB
Mort1S.jpg
From "Engish Swords 1600-1650" here at MyArmoury
See below for an image of the sword.

I want to say that I have also become rather interested in the so-called Mortuary-hilted swords as well as of late. I'd like to have one made that is of a bit more simple form than the one you're showing here but nonetheless, I find the hilt type to be far too rarely replicated.

Attachment: 112.83 KB
MortuaryTøjhusmeseet322-42a.jpg

Attachment: 118.09 KB
MortuaryTøjhusmeseet322-42b.jpg

Attachment: 43.07 KB
MortuaryTøjhusmeseet322-42c.jpg

Thanks Nathan -

The sword looks great in the side view, but the other views show an ornateness, that is a little too much. At least that portrait is superior to the usual cartoonish mournful Cavalier faces. Sometimes there are some faces that have a "Green Man" appearence, that are more appealing to me..

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Mon 23 Aug, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
There are many examples that are unadorned save for a few incised lines. Those are the types I tend to like.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
See below for an image of the sword.

I find the hilt type to be far too rarely replicated.

I highly agree Nathan.
I agree with Nathan and Bill. Morts are "cool", and severely under-represented as reproductions.

The Tojhusmuseet hilt, if you eliminate all the silver inlay, is a simple, incised line/shell design. It wouldn't be hard at all to replicate if you eliminate the inlay.

The only Mort shown in Oakeshott's "European Weapons and Armor" is a simple but elegant hilt.

As far as Green Man hilts, I like Mazansky IIAa on p.253.

--ElJay
a couple of the other mortuary's in the Cromwell Museum - Huntingdon are rather nice too. Got to see them real up close on my research visit and meeting with the curator several years back. Cromwell's Drogheda mort gets all the attention.

Roger,

I found the other 2 disc of mortuary photos I have...can down load some if your still interested
E.B. Erickson wrote:
I agree with Nathan and Bill. Morts are "cool", and severely under-represented as reproductions.

There's a "leafy" one on plate 14 of Oakeshott's "European Weapons and Armour from the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution" that I'd like made some day... along with others.
Do you know if it is on display?

I am coming home this week and could walk over with a camera and take some pictures.
(No guarantees of quality of pictures)
PM me with details on it if you got them.
Toke Krebs Niclasen wrote:
Do you know if it is on display?

I am coming home this week and could walk over with a camera and take some pictures.
(No guarantees of quality of pictures)
PM me with details on it if you got them.

I don't know if it is on display. I don't think we absolutely need any more photos of that particular one, but all sword photos are welcome here, of that or any other sword in the Tojhusmuseet

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: