Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rare find: Ancient Aluminum Weapon: Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Dave Leppo

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Rare find: Ancient Aluminum Weapon:         Reply with quote

Sword w/ scabbard from the Aluminum period:

This artifact was found partially washed out of a sediment bank of the Vilyui River in central Russia, in excellent condition for its age. It is believed to be an arming sword of the little-known Aluminum period of medieval history. Apparently around the time of the Viking age in Europe, there was a small culture of rather diminutive warriors living or obtaining natural resources from this area.
The blade of the sword is forged from elemental aluminum, the extraction from ore of which was not developed until the dawn of the nineteenth century. This area of Russia is one of the few known places where aluminum occurs in a natural metallic state, apparently due to the volcanic origins of the terrain.

The blade is 410mm long, 25mm wide and 6mm thick, with parallel edges and no distal taper, with a rounded tip. The blade is not sharp, having full-round radii rather than tapered edges. (Speculation that it was for ceremonial use rather than battle, but this does not fit other finds, or the overall history of this culture) there is a square-bottomed fuller running full-length, colored with paint similar to that used on the hilt. The fittings are made of wood with multiple layers of filler and paint; the guard flat, about 7mm thick, 100mm long. The pommel is a near-perfect 25mm ball which is threaded onto the tang, a very early example of this type of construction. The grip is 100mm long, constructed of multiple layers of twine wrapped directly onto the tang and dyed with paint of the same origin as that on the fittings. Despite the grip length this is a two-handed sword of war; the warriors of this race were rather small by all measures. The scabbard is of painted wood, of a glued clam-shell structure (strikingly similar to modern commercial crown molding glued face to face).

Why you never heard of the Aluminum culture:
Despite technical advances such as mining and working metallic aluminum, using threaded fastening systems, and developing paint and adhesives based on the refinement of naturally occurring petroleum (the binders for the paint on this artifact), the Aluminum Empire fell almost as quickly as it rose. Very little artifacts have been found, scattered across central Russia - until this find only small fragments of weapons and utensils. This artifact was preserved in a coating of bitumen, deposited in fine sand / silt. During this turbulent time, brawn typically won over brains, and the size of this race was quite diminutive. They stood little chance of any sort of supremacy over Vikings, ancient Mongolians, or the like. Also, they had no wealth to ransom themselves (Aluminum was not valued any more than technical knowledge). Hence they were quickly wiped out; one of history’s first apparent cases of genocide.

photos to come...

-Dave
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Should have posted this on April 1st.
Thomas R.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, and I happen to have found yesterday the petrified bones of a happy troll in my backyard... Photos to come. Big Grin
http://maerenundlobebaeren.tumblr.com/
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heh thats funny I found the petrified bones of a troll clutching onto the hilt of an aluminum sword. Go figure.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And then there is the Uranium sword culture that died out due to high rates of male sterility from having their scabbarded Uranium swords a little too close to their " junk ". Wink Razz

Oh, and also they couldn't sneak up on enemies at night because they tended to glow in the dark. The invention of the Uranium breastplate just accelerated their decline as a civilization.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Predating all of the above mentioned cultures was the "Rock Culture". Their weapons were extensively discussed in the Rocks and Michael B's Analysis of Their Proper Use thread.

To my knowledge Craig Peters has not published his "Peters' Rock Typology" as of yet. Many years of careful, and occasionally painful, research will be required before any conclusive typology could be published.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Michael MacLeod

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too bad they were wiped out before they could make the aluminum swords translucent.
Dave Leppo

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry for the delay, I had to pay the bills:

Attachment: 75.65 KB
100_6311comp.JPG

Attachment: 75.42 KB
100_6313comp.JPG

Attachment: 82.68 KB
100_6316comp.JPG

-Dave
Dave Leppo

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

living history demo:

Attachment: 97.18 KB
100_6321COMP.JPG

Attachment: 86.12 KB
100_6322COMP.JPG

Attachment: 98.3 KB
100_6324COMP.JPG

-Dave
Dave Leppo

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
They stood little chance of any sort of supremacy over Vikings, ancient Mongolians, or the like. Also, they had no wealth to ransom themselves (Aluminum was not valued any more than technical knowledge). Hence they were quickly wiped out; one of history’s first apparent cases of genocide.

Plus…THEY USED LITTLE DULL ALUMINUM SWORDS!

-Dave
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave Leppo wrote:
Quote:
They stood little chance of any sort of supremacy over Vikings, ancient Mongolians, or the like. Also, they had no wealth to ransom themselves (Aluminum was not valued any more than technical knowledge). Hence they were quickly wiped out; one of history’s first apparent cases of genocide.

Very cute and only mildly scary, but be nice and tell the little guy that we are all trembling in terror. Wink Big Grin Cool

NOTE: At that age that aluminium sword would have trilled me to no end. Wink Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dave Leppo

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was one of my son’s presents for his third birthday. He’s more interested in trains, trucks, earthmovers, and lately dinosaurs than swords right now, but who doesn’t enjoy chopping weeds in the back yard with their new toys?
-Dave
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pictures, he's a handsome young man. Happy Birthday to him!

I would have been thrilled with a present like that as well, however I hope you take the time to show him Oakeshott's typology and explain to him exactly how his sword departs from historic precedent. (This would be a good time to tell him about the importance of distal taper and point of balance as well.) Also a short presentation of period art depicting similar swords might help him understand the timeframe involved, and where it fits in with regards to the evolution of the sword as a weapon. Then maybe give him a popsicle or something. Wink
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bet my nephew could take him! Wink

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Scott Hrouda

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazing period artwork! The images are so lifelike you feel as if you are actually there. The leggings are cut short, I assume to assist with cooling the body in a warmer climate period. Notice the legging pattern, I can’t tell if this is an early attempt at camouflage, or a discoloration of the artifact. The footwear is a type that I am completely unfamiliar with in period artwork. The short-sleeved tunic has a pattern on the front, is this an early example of heraldry?

From the pose with weapon raised above the head, these were obviously a war like people. It is sad that we do not know more about these diminutive warriors. Sad

Your son is very lucky to have such a cool and talented dad! Cool

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Jean Thibodeau"]
Dave Leppo wrote:
Quote:

Very cute and only mildly scary, but be nice and tell the little guy that we are all trembling in terror. Wink Big Grin Cool

NOTE: At that age that aluminium sword would have trilled me to no end. Wink Cool[/quote

Yeah, all I had were sticks and a trash can lid if I were going "all out."
Scott Hrouda

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott S. wrote:
I would have been thrilled with a present like that as well, however I hope you take the time to show him Oakeshott's typology and explain to him exactly how his sword departs from historic precedent. (This would be a good time to tell him about the importance of distal taper and point of balance as well.) Also a short presentation of period art depicting similar swords might help him understand the timeframe involved, and where it fits in with regards to the evolution of the sword as a weapon. Then maybe give him a popsicle or something. Wink

My head hurts from laughing so hard! Laughing Out Loud

Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: genocide?         Reply with quote

It's a well known fact that the prevalence of aluminium in that culture, from weapons to cooking utensils and under-arm deodorant led to universal Alzheimer's disease, so genocide was not needed as it became the Culture Which Forgot About Itself, and all the neighbouring cultures agreed that this was best for all, hence the time honoured expression : Forget About It.
This in turn explains why XXth century man saw no problem in going back to aluminium alloys to make all sorts of useful household appliances, pots & pans, and under arm deodorant ...

Bon coeur et bon bras
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: genocide?         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
It's a well known fact that the prevalence of aluminium in that culture, from weapons to cooking utensils and under-arm deodorant led to universal Alzheimer's disease, so genocide was not needed as it became the Culture Which Forgot About Itself, and all the neighbouring cultures agreed that this was best for all, hence the time honoured expression : Forget About It.
This in turn explains why XXth century man saw no problem in going back to aluminium alloys to make all sorts of useful household appliances, pots & pans, and under arm deodorant ...

What was that? I forgot what you said. What are we talking about again? Who are you?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:

My head hurts from laughing so hard!

Thanks alot Scott! I LOL'd at your "diminutive warrior" conjecture as well.
(By the way, that was an excerpt from the forthcoming book "myArmoury's Guide to Raising Children.")

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rare find: Ancient Aluminum Weapon:
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: