Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Scottish Hoard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: The Scottish Hoard         Reply with quote

I found a Scottish hoard and so decided to throw it all down and take some quick photos. Sorry for the quality and the mishmash of stuff, but you get the idea.

Top to bottom in first photo:

E.B. Erickson basket-hilted broadsword
Vince Evans single-edged dirk with wide fuller and spatulated tip
Vince Evans basket-hilted saber
Vince Evans basket-hilted backsword
Vince Evans single-edged dirk with acutely tapered blade
E.B.Erickson silver-inlaid basket-hilted backsword

Click photos for full-sized versions

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let me be the first to say, "WOW!" What a fabulous collection, Nathan. I need to add this link to the tread on "Coveting Thy Neighbors Toys".

That VE saber is fantastic! I have not seen that one before. Actually, I'm not sure the VE backsword is one I've seen, either. What a spectacular piece! I also did not realize the two dirks you had photographed earlier were ones you owned -- very nice. Are all these new pieces for your collection?

The ElJay swords, though ones that have been shown here before, never get old for me.

And, by the way, I wish I could just "throw it all down and take some quick photos" and have them come out like these pictures. You know I am a sucker for those group shots. Well done!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A great collection and excellent photos Nathan. You are indeed a fortunate man to have acquired such a fine grouping of Scottish blades.

By bonnet is off to you....

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

truly a grand picture. i would suggest to you to go visit Blair Castle in Scotland. they have quite the hoard too.

Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes, Blair Atholl. I see the portrait of the late Duke of Atholl on the far wall. I met him once, years ago, at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games and saw him later at one of the amusement rides at Tweetsie Railroad, of all places!

I have not been to the castle but a friend of mine has and he gave me a few photos of the same area in the building. The Duke has the only private army in Scotland so it is appropriate that a display of weapons grace the house.

Thanks for sharing an interesting photo.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonderful collection Nathan!
Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A very impressive collection!!!

I recognize those Evans swords -- congrads on a rare find!

(BTW Nathan, if we pooled our collections, we might bypass the Blair Atholl collection. Anybody got a castle for rent?)

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. Let me add some more shots.

Vince Evans Stirling Basket-Hilt

Vince Evans Basket-Hilted Saber

The Two Together

Click photos for full-sized versions

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, awesome. Any stats yet (weight, CoG, etc.)?
David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Carl Massaro

PostPosted: Sat 14 Aug, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow...
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

whoa.... Cool is that the Fletcher hoard?

Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jealousy light on Idea Surprised Idea Eek! Idea Evil Idea Laughing Out Loud
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David-

I'll be taking measurements and taking stats shortly. I'm doing some photography today and that will be next on the list.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was hoping that some of you knowledgeable people in the community could help me with some information on the Vince Evans pieces shown above.

I know what antique sword the basket-hilted saber has as its inspiration. It's in Swords and the Sorrows, page 27: a sword located in the Boughton House.

Please help me identify the antique that served as inspiration for the browned Vince Evans backsword and the two dirks.

I suspect the darker-gripped dirk is not based on a specific piece but rather a common style Vince has seen. I could be wrong here, but he seems to have made many variations on this particular theme, each with distinctive elements or decorative features. The lighter-gripped version, however, seems very unique and so I'm inclined to think that it might be based on a specific original.

To start general, am I wrong to suggest that the browned backsword is a Stirling hilt?

Any insight would be appreciated!

David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd consider the backsword hilt to be a Stirling-style, due to the thinner bars. Even though it is of a fairly "standard" form, the hilt bars are not as wide and grooved as in a Glasgow-style hilt.

As to which originals the swords/dirks are based on, I have no clue. Like you mention, some of Vince's work is not based directly on a given specific piece, but instead incorporates design elements common in period pieces, creating works that are historically accurate in general terms but for which there is not an exact original match. And then sometimes the pieces he makes are based directly on an original.

As to the light-wood dirk, it could be either case. The blade looks like a cut-down sword blade; this could be done to copy an original piece, or, it was made with an actual cut-down sword blade Vince had available and was not actually based directly on an original. In any case, I don't know.....

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I was hoping that some of you knowledgeable people in the community could help me with some information on the Vince Evans pieces shown above.

I know what antique sword the basket-hilted saber has as its inspiration. It's in Swords and the Sorrows, page 27: a sword located in the Boughton House.

Please help me identify the antique that served as inspiration for the browned Vince Evans backsword and the two dirks.

I suspect the darker-gripped dirk is not based on a specific piece but rather a common style Vince has seen. I could be wrong here, but he seems to have made many variations on this particular theme, each with distinctive elements or decorative features. The lighter-gripped version, however, seems very unique and so I'm inclined to think that it might be based on a specific original.

To start general, am I wrong to suggest that the browned backsword is a Stirling hilt?

Any insight would be appreciated!

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, David...

David Wilson wrote:
As to the light-wood dirk, it could be either case. The blade looks like a cut-down sword blade; this could be done to copy an original piece, or, it was made with an actual cut-down sword blade Vince had available and was not actually based directly on an original. In any case, I don't know.....

I hadn't considered this, but you're right... that blade does look like a cut-down sword blade. It even has a "running wolf" mark on it as a sword blade might have.

As you know, I've always been intrigued by your own dirk that was created from a cut-down recycled sword blade. Perhaps I have a dirk with a similar story?

Regardless, I'm quite fond of the design. That's for sure.

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful pieces, all of them! What a display they would make - I especially like the Claidheamh Crom. Cool
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The swords... Eek!

But tell us about that soft kit! It looks amazing, too!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 18 Aug, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
The swords... Eek!

But tell us about that soft kit! It looks amazing, too!

Thanks for asking, Sean. I haven't thought about these things for some time.

I threw down a bunch of stuff for those snapshots without thinking really how it matched up, but there is a wool Ionar, linen léine (is that redundant?), 6 yards of wool to be used as a breccan or pleated into a kilt, and a tam/bonnet made from hand-spun and naturally dyed wool.

The ionar and léine were made by costume extraordinaire Lynn McMasters on whose site you can see a completely different costume made for me named a Man's Elizabethan Court Costume. Good stuff.

I really should sell this stuff. It's been boxed up for almost 15 years.

Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sat 21 Aug, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

from the same hoard.......... Vince Evans did an antique treatment to both the hilt and the blade. Its very different in subtle ways. He really is a master of his art!

Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sun 22 Aug, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: scottish hoard         Reply with quote

Excuse me while I empty my drool bucket...These weapons make my scottish heart sing!

More photo's and stats please!

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Scottish Hoard
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: