Question about maille coif and closet helmets
Hi all
i have a simple question: how do you dealing with sound of maille coif inside your closed helmets. I have sallet and I am wearing 2 arming caps, one cap is made of wool (handmade), i have it under the maille coif and then i have very fluffy arming cap made of cloths (handmade too) over that coif so my sallet is sitting very firmly on my head and its almost without any sound of metal scratching until i wear a brevor so the hanging maille is scratching on brevor brrr i hate that sound and i have a goosebumbs from it :D does anyone have the same problem with that sound?

P.S. I have the maille coif only for image, i just like the maille triangels on my coif hanging from under of my helmet :)
Re: Question about maille coif and closet helmets
Jan J. Gahy wrote:
Hi all
i have a simple question: how do you dealing with sound of maille coif inside your closed helmets. I have sallet and I am wearing 2 arming caps, one cap is made of wool (handmade), i have it under the maille coif and then i have very fluffy arming cap made of cloths (handmade too) over that coif so my sallet is sitting very firmly on my head and its almost without any sound of metal scratching until i wear a brevor so the hanging maille is scratching on brevor brrr i hate that sound and i have a goosebumbs from it :D does anyone have the same problem with that sound?

P.S. I have the maille coif only for image, i just like the maille triangels on my coif hanging from under of my helmet :)

a coif is not usually worn with a sallet. a mail standard should be used here. this will cover the neck area. and you said you wore a bevor so really a standard isn't really needed either unless the rear of the neck is exposed. The sallet should have its own padded suspension liner riveted within itself so that no linen/wool arming cap is needed either.
I think the practice of wearing mail under a helm died when the bascinet took over. There is evidence the coif was worn under great helms, but once the bascinet begins to be worn under the great helm and then on its own, the aventail replaces the coif.
thanks guys, i try to post some photos tomorrow
and i dont have the padded suspension rivetted inside of my sallet :/ so i made my own :)
i dont have problems with that (exept of that sound) it fits very good on head
i just post that pics for better view
and about that maille coif it has design like normal cap so its not joined under the chin its just longer and have triangles :D
Heres photos of my helm and how i wear it with maille coif

Attachment: 72.64 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 104.17 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 80.91 KB
[ Download ]
The mail hanging out from under the helmet looks cool, but I don't see it giving any additional protection (the brevor seems to cover about anything left exposed from the helm) so I don't think this setup would have been worn historically. With the mail "triangles" hanging loose over the plate brevor though I don't think there's very much you can do about reducing the noise. You could try lining the coif with a layer of thick linen or something, that could reduce the noise somewhat without compromising the looks.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: