Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone have experience with Odin Blades? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience with Odin Blades?         Reply with quote

Has anyone bought or handled any swords made by Odin Blades? If yes, what is your opinion of the product and customer service?
"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you should tempt your chance with the SBG sword forum in addition of myArmoury there is plenty of people on sbg forum who have some.

i only heard good things about them so far.

hope it helps.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might also try swordforum. Many folks there also should be able to help.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The SBG is a good place. He in fact did a custom sword for that forum. Iīm not a fan of the aesthetics of his blades, but I havenīt heard anything bad about the swords.
J. Abernethy

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...zweihander

The above link is a review of my Odinblade. I own other customs and production swords, but working with John Lundemo of Odinblades was the funnest and most rewarding sword buying experience ive ever had. Feel free to ask me any questions via pm.
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered my first piece from John recently and he is working on it this month. While I can't in good faith tell you what I think of something that is not done yet, thus far he has always been good with communication and taking the time to talk via phone or email. I have heard nothing but good things when I ask those who had ordered with him before which is why I placed an order with him.

One thing of note though he doesn't seem to like to do the pattern welded stuff that he used to do anymore for a variety of reasons. I originally wanted something of that type and almost decided to cancel my order when he told me he wasn't really into doing that right now but I had heard enough good recommendations regarding quality and artistic talent (as well as what I had seen) that I decided to trust what I had heard and stick things through and see what came of it.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I commissioned a wonderful langes messer from John a little while back (you can search the forums for pics and a review). John was excellent to work with, and the quality was top notch. I ended up selling it, but only because I've gotten more into antique weapons, and those cost big bucks. Nonetheless, that messer was pretty amazing.

John's fantasy stuff is top notch. He does historical work, but I think the pieces from his own imagination are the ones that really come alive.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I recently had a, saber, made by, John Lundemo,he is an excellant craftsman and artist.He was good about answering
emails,even though i nagged:-) He finished my sword, in reasonable time ,and for a reasonable price. I dont think you could go wrong commissioning something from him.

Attachment: 51.23 KB
DSCF0022 (Medium).JPG

Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Larry,

When you first posted this I almost responded based on a sword John made for me 4-5 years ago. My responses would have been positive but when you posted this I was really close to getting my second Odin and I decided to wait so I'd have more up-to-date information.

I will say that first sword was awesome but I like the new one even better. I had some very specific requests for the blade characteristics and John was able to incorporate all of those into the design. The entire sword is solid as a rock, the blade is extremely rigid (as I requested), the balance is awesome and the fit-and-finish are superb. The grip wrap is the equal of Albion and I've seen their grips referred to as "world class". The blade geometry is very pleasing and the polish just looks NICE. The leather scabbard/sheath I requested is extremely solid and fits just like a wood-core scabbard.....tight!

All of my communication with John was via e-mail and he always responded promptly and answered my questions.

I can say that I would definately commission another sword from John and I probably will some day.

Here is the sword I just received from John:

Here's the sword I received 4-5 years ago:
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I met John at a knife show in Massachusetts back in 2001. He had to show quite a herd of cruciform knightlys, a couple of gladius and a basic black katana form to show. The etching and stabilized work he had done, fantastic even by then, was also displayed in a photographic binder/gallery about three inches thick. Quite laid back on what was probably a sleepy Thanksgiving weekend for all, instant animation occurred at the turn of simple conversation and explanation. A little standoffish to the internet at that time, soon lured to the boards and a good many examples have been shared over time. The metal carving work is really an amazing treat in this day and age of casting.

http://swordforum.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=18296

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 36.29 KB
odincard.jpg

George E

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

all the experience I have had with odin blades is dreaming about them (once again, damn you, college). I have approached John one or two times though with ideas about swords I want to make though and he has been more than accommodating and very informative and pleasant to talk to.

@ GAC: where in MA was that and does John still go to it?
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George E wrote:
all the experience I have had with odin blades is dreaming about them (once again, damn you, college). I have approached John one or two times though with ideas about swords I want to make though and he has been more than accommodating and very informative and pleasant to talk to.

@ GAC: where in MA was that and does John still go to it?

That was a Marlborough knife show at the Holiday Inn. AFAIK, he doesn't do the faire and show exhibits anymore but he would be the one to know of later possibilities. It has been quite a few years since I have gone to the Northeast Cutler Collectors Association sponsored shows but those have always been worth a visit if buying/carrying cash. Cheap enough to join as well and I have considered that as something to do. As mentioned though, a long time has gone by since I was going to them.
www.ncca.info/shows.htm

Cheers

GC
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: on the odin blades swords         Reply with quote

hello,

this is my first post so i really don't know what to expect at all. i don't know that much on swords either. Worried anyway i was just wondering if you guys knew about Odin blades durability and handling. so far i have heard very good reports from those who have them. do you think they are as good as a valiant armory signature sword? i was just wanting to get a basic idea of what they were like.

thanks!

AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since they are custom made by master swordsmith they are far better than any production Valiant armory sword.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: on the odin blades swords         Reply with quote

Austin D.G. Hill wrote:
hello,

this is my first post so i really don't know what to expect at all. i don't know that much on swords either. Worried anyway i was just wondering if you guys knew about Odin blades durability and handling. so far i have heard very good reports from those who have them. do you think they are as good as a valiant armory signature sword? i was just wanting to get a basic idea of what they were like.

thanks!

I've never handled any of Valiant Armoury's Signature line swords but I've owned 3 Angus Trim swords (which I assume are better than the chinese-made versions) and John's blades are there as far as quality. The big difference I've seen is that my experience with Gus' swords is that he tends to keep them on the lighter end of the spectrum as far as weight while John's tend to be on the heavier end (more like the antique jian and Albion Knight that I've owned). Both guys make blades that feel really good in the hand but they are different in their overall feel. This is based on my limited experience with each maker and may not be universally true about their swords.
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: on the odin blades swords         Reply with quote

so basically what you all are saying valiant armory swords are a little faster and more agile ?
AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword by Odinblades are custom swords made by swordmaker John Lundemo. Given that he's a custom swordmaker, he can make to spec a sword of your choosing. If you want an incredibly agile blade that is lightweight, he can make it. if you want a robust sword with a lot of heft, he can make that. He is not a production shop delivering swords out of a pre-made catalog of cookie-cutter offerings.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you all a lot! one last question though, if i was to buy from one should i by a valiant armory sword or go with an Odin?

thank you

AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depends how much are you ready to spend and do you actually know what you want...
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Austin D.G. Hill wrote:
thank you all a lot! one last question though, if i was to buy from one should i by a valiant armory sword or go with an Odin?

thank you

Hello
The ones from, Valiant ,are "Designed" by John Lundemo.What you get from,Odin Blades,are Designed and "Made"
by John Lundemo. A substantial price/quality difference.

Regards

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone have experience with Odin Blades?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: