About Oakeshott
What titles of Ewart Oakeshott should I buy, I dont own any of his books. Which are the best?

Please help me out/
Anders
Hej!

Start with "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry"
Here Oakeshott presents his typology and gives a good overview of the development of the knightly sword.

More examples of swords are presented with various levels of deail in "Records of the Medieval Sword"
This is no all inclusive book, but presents a good and rich material all the same.

"Archaeology of Weapons" deals with the developments of arms from the earliest times. Oakeshott presents many good insights and explains both interesting details and larger perspectives.

All these thre books are essential to anyone who is interested in learning about the development of western arms.
Start with "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" and continue on from there.

There are also other publications by other authors that go into more detail on different periods, but those tend to be cosly and hard to get.
European Arms and Armour is another excellent read of Oakeshott's. Just finished it myself not too long ago.

William
aka Bill
Ewart's Work
Hello Anders

Here is the complete list of his work in book form as author and illustartor. There are many article as well in magazines, journals and anthologies.

I would agree with Peter on the books suggested and add that Sword in Hand is an addition that tells the story of the sword in Ewart's words, much like sitting and discussing swords with him. The way I usually describe it to people is if you take his books on swords and bound them all together one is hard pressed to find a better volume of knowledge on the medieval sword.

Best
Craig

Works by Ewart Oakeshott

The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England (with Dr. Hilda Ellis Davidson), illustrated by
E. Oakeshott, pub. O.U.P., 1957.

The Archaeology of Weapons, 1960, re-published 1995, pub.
Lutterworth Press, a large work involving much original research, covering period from the Bronze Age
to the Renaissance. Illustrated by the author.

Pub. 1962-1972 Lutterworth Press, illustrated by author.
A Knight and His Armour,
A Knight and His Weapons,
A Knight and His Horse, re-published in 1990
A Knight and His Castle,
A Knight in Battle,
A Dark Age Warrior, re-published in 1990

Fighting Men (with Henry Treece), illustrated by E. Oakeshott, pub. Brockhampton 1964

The Sword in the Age of Chivalry- a definitive and scholarly typological study
of the medieval sword which has become a standard work, pub. Lutterworth Press, 1964 and republished in 1981 and 1995.

The Blindfold Game - a detailed account of the Battle of Jutland, illustrated by the author, pub. Pergamon Press, 1966.

Sound of Battle (with Leonard Clark) - an anthology of military verse, illustrated by E. Oakeshott, pub. Pergamon Press, 1969.

European Weapons and Armour - this is in effect the second part of the history begun in The Archaeology of Weapons, and covers the period from the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution. It is some 120,000 words long, with 700 line drawings (by the author) and more than 100 photographs), pub. Lutterworth Press, 1980.

Records of the Medieval Sword- in combination with The Sword in the Age of Chivalry and Sword in Hand creates the most important work on the typology of the medieval sword in English, pub. Boydell & Brewer, 1991.

Sword in Hand, Republication, with additions and corrections, of a series of twelve articles on the history and development of the medieval sword ( for Gun Report Magazine) in a book from pub. Arms & Armor Inc., 2001.
Swords in the Viking Age, Catalog of Viking swords from Many collections across Europe. pub Boydell & Brewer, 2002.
alright then
Thanks guys!

Time to search the net!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: