Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for winged helmet and possibly full armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian Kos

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Looking for winged helmet and possibly full armor         Reply with quote

I've been looking for a full suit of armor (mostly for decoration but want it to look as realistic as possible) and ideally have a helmet with "metal wings" off the side (either like eagle wings or some other wing type shape) but haven't had much luck finding anything like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know some good sources to look?

Thanks,

Brian
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy I've moved your topic to Off-Topic talk. The Marketplace forum is not for seeking advice of any kind, just for person-to-person sales.

To get the most help, you might need to let people know:

1) your approx. budget
2) What period(s) interest you the most
3) How important historical accuracy is to you

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Vilkas V.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doing a google search for "winged helm" turned up this:

http://www.stagesteel.com/armor-viking-helmet.htm

I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but if you do go a head and get a winged helm, don't wear it for reenactment combat. Someone catching a wing with a sword or axe will not be kind to your neck.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for winged helmet and possibly full armor         Reply with quote

Brian Kos wrote:
I've been looking for a full suit of armor (mostly for decoration but want it to look as realistic as possible) and ideally have a helmet with "metal wings" off the side (either like eagle wings or some other wing type shape) but haven't had much luck finding anything like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know some good sources to look?

Thanks,

Brian

Welcome, Brian! "Full suit of armor", "winged helmet" and "realistic" are mutually exclusive criteria, I think. A realistic full plate harness will start around the price of a good 4-door sedan, but won't have the winged helmet. A winged helmet can be made pretty easily and inexpensively, but it won't be realistic. If the wings are essential and you're not too particular about where they appear,I think the closest you'll get, historically, are the Polish "winged hussars".

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_hussars.html

You could put together an impressive hussar display with some work, especially if you can learn to sew. Much of it is soft kit (not much armour) but accurate clothing can be expensive.

Another alternative is to think in terms of a crest. Some medieval European helmets were fitted with large, elaborate crests depicting all manner of critters. This was the period before full-plate so you could have a nice helmet and soft kit with some plate and mail.

And, although I've never seen wings painted on a helmet, some late German helmets did feature painted faces--animals and monsters. So, a late visored sallet is an option, but it'll be expensive, especially with the appropriate plate.

Attachment: 199.74 KB
hussar.gif

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Then there's this, but now we're talking about some truly bonkers money. Parade helmet attrib. to Lorenz Helmschmeid. To have this made--if it could be done--with the appropriate harness.... Eek!

Attachment: 32.19 KB
3018-068.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Brian Kos

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey all,

Thanks for all the replies. I've done a little research and found some kind of cool helmet designs for Teutonic knights, but I guess the winged part isn't essential. However, it'd be very nice to get some armor with some intricate designs that are cool to look at.

I did find a helmet on a miniature knight that was close to what I had in mind here: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-87491460501412_2117_32346510.jpg (although the wings don't have to be as big)

And on that same site, I found a couple full suits of armor that were okay but not quite as intricate as I wanted them to be:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-87491460501412_2117_10360392.jpg -- looks a bit too basic and no intricate designs
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-87491460501412_2117_10763881.jpg -- a little more intricate but don't like the black color

Hopefully that gives a basic idea, but I was wondering if there are any dealers or sites that I maybe don't know about that would have a lot more to look at? I've found maybe two or three sites tops that have more than one or two suits of armor.

Thanks again!

Brian
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the context of tournament or parade, you could attach parchment or hardened leather wings to just about any Great Helm and be consistent with numerous 13th-14th century era surviving documents depicting exactly such a thing.

Attachment: 77.59 KB
Mannesse_166v.GIF

Attachment: 162.1 KB
cover.GIF

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Brian Kos

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there a list of websites that sell full armor suits? I've only seen a couple that I can find through some Google searches that have more than one or two a piece. Any popular suggestions?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Kos wrote:
Is there a list of websites that sell full armor suits? I've only seen a couple that I can find through some Google searches that have more than one or two a piece. Any popular suggestions?

Check out our extensive Links page, accessible from anywhere on this site. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Brian Kos

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! Didn't even see those links the first time around. Seems like a ton of them so I'll get digging.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Kos wrote:
Thanks! Didn't even see those links the first time around. Seems like a ton of them so I'll get digging.

You can have a look here at Mercenary Taylor's which make good " using " armour of the munitions type i.e. plain but functional armour in period made in batches and meant to arm the less rich clients.

http://www.merctailor.com/index.php

I have many of their pieces and the customer service is great:

Not too expensive but not " decorator stuff " that isn't functional and also not the high end armour that would cost like a small car and take 2 years or more to make. ( Usually everything is in stock and can be delivered quickly. More or less one size fits most but Allan can tweak the sizing a bit if there are sizing issues and for a full suit of armour best to contact him as he can make sure the sizing is optimized and that the pieces of armour will all work together well ).

Quote from the MT site:
Quote:
THE HARNESS DEAL. BUY ARMOUR FOR ARMS, LEGS, TORSO, AND SHOULDERS ALL AT ONE TIME AND TAKE 20% OF THE TOTAL OF ALL ITEMS PURCHASED AT THAT TIME. CONTACT US FOR DETAILS.

In any case if you want to buy a full set of armour it would be hard to find a better quality/price/fast delivery deal out there.

You should also have a general period in mind and choose a helm compatible with the period. ( Ask Allan for advice about what would go well with what ).

(Note, disclaimer: The above is a deliberate plug for Mercenary Taylor's and Allan Senefelder because of the great customer service I've received in all my purchases and after many years of dealing with him I do consider him a friend ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for winged helmet and possibly full armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic