Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Flintlock Pistol Maker Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jim Meggs

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jul, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Flintlock Pistol Maker         Reply with quote

Can anyone identify a flintlock pistol maker with a mark of a 5 superimposed over a T . The mark is underneath
the pan. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JIM MEGGS
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jul, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flintlock Pistol Maker         Reply with quote

Jim Meggs wrote:
Can anyone identify a flintlock pistol maker with a mark of a 5 superimposed over a T . The mark is underneath
the pan. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is this a modern made pistol or an antique? Can you post a photo of the pistol?

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Sam Pond

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have a question regarding where the markings or manufacturer name would be on a pistol my dad was given the pistol in the 1950s and i beleave he said it was his grandfathers and since my grandfather was born in the 1890s i beleave it is old my dad said it was origanally a flintlock but had a conversion kit put on it to update it to ball and cap did they do this back then?? the pistol looks old and it is missing the hammer i have not seen it in awhile but i will have pictures of it soon!! any help anyone give on how to identifie this pistol would be graetly apprecieated
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Pond wrote:
i have a question regarding where the markings or manufacturer name would be on a pistol my dad was given the pistol in the 1950s and i beleave he said it was his grandfathers and since my grandfather was born in the 1890s i beleave it is old my dad said it was origanally a flintlock but had a conversion kit put on it to update it to ball and cap did they do this back then?? the pistol looks old and it is missing the hammer i have not seen it in awhile but i will have pictures of it soon!! any help anyone give on how to identifie this pistol would be graetly apprecieated

Sam...

In order to have even a general idea of what you have a photo will be necessary. Even a complete written description is not enough.

Lots of old pistols are completely unmarked. Others, especially military pistols, will have proof marks, inspectors' marks, rack numbers, etc. to help you identify the piece. Proof marks are found on the breech end of the barrel, usually on top. Inspectors' marks can be anywhere and are most often found on wooden stocks. Manufacturers' and armories' names are found on lock plates. Some times there are markings on the underside of barrels, which are hidden by the stock. Removing a barrel to look for markings can result in damage to the stock on old pistols which are not well preserved.

Conversions from flint to percussion locks were not uncommon at all. If it was originally a flintlock then it may have been made prior to 1830. But, without a photo it is difficult to say.

Check back in when you have that picture.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Last edited by Lin Robinson on Mon 09 Aug, 2010 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Pond

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you very much i reallly didnt expect an answer so quickly i will be going there this week end and i will get some pics of it like i said it is in sad shape and i just talked to my dad and he said he has had it since 1957 and he had to soak it in deisle fuel for a couple of weeks then to get the barrel off of it. i am just curious to see if it is old or not the only other old gun i have is a 1901 sears and robuck shot gun i think it would be so cool to have something made in the 1800s anyways thank you for your help
Sam Pond

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: here are some pics of the pistol         Reply with quote

i dont know how to add more than one pic on here so there will be more than on comment on here sorry

Attachment: 131 KB
[ Download ]
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: here are some pics of the pistol         Reply with quote

Sam Pond wrote:
i dont know how to add more than one pic on here so there will be more than on comment on here sorry

Here you go: Attachment Guide

The gist: when posting, simply "browse..." to your file and then "Add Attachment". Repeat.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sam Pond

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ok here are the pics he also found some numbrs on it the first has a star 58 star 372F the second is A0 and 7 6 but the six is attached to the bottom of the seven then k7 and he cant really read the last 2 numbers he thinks it is 11 i hope this will help in finding out what exactly this is like i said i will be there this weekend and take better pics of it thank you so much

Attachment: 34.67 KB
Photo-0014.jpg

Attachment: 37.27 KB
Photo-0013.jpg

Attachment: 131 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 125.3 KB
[ Download ]
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK...

That helps but not very much. We need clearer photos so if you can get some please post them.

I think you have a civilian pistol, probably a converted flintlock. The lock plate appears to be too large for a pistol, notice how it almost meets the escutcheon for the barrel key. (Now that I look at the obverse side of the pistol, the molding there is about the same size as it is on the lock side. That is still a large lock for a pistol) It may be a replacement. There was a nose cap on the pistol at one point. The trigger guard finial and the half stock make me think this is possibly an English gun dating from the early 19th century. The nose cap is missing and was probably brass or perhaps poured pewter. The markings you describe are not familiar.

With better photos I might be able to tell you more. Keep in mind that there were hundreds, perhaps thousands of gun makers in the early 19th c. not all of whom are documented anywhere. We may never know who made it.

(I have added a photo of a replica KY pistol that looks a little like yours. Note the size of the lock compared to the overall size of the pistol).

Attachment: 51.27 KB
KY Belt Pistol.jpg

Lin Robinson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Flintlock Pistol Maker
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic