Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What is the ultimate ideal of swordmakers?Present / Past?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Myrick J. Hethington

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: What is the ultimate ideal of swordmakers?Present / Past??         Reply with quote

I have always had this dream or fantasy of the ultimate sword but not like Excalibur,or lightsabers LOL But actual swords.Is it art or function?or the middle road taken to the extreme?Maybe to make a the weapon that performs its purpose perfectly weather it be for cutting,thrusting or a broader meaning such as defense,revenge,murder or just to be beautiful???.I ask because I wish to make such weapons someday ....very broad spectrum I know but I figured that I would throw it out there Big Grin your opinions are very welcome especially those of makers Happy Thanks!!!
"The name of the sword sayd the lady is Excalibur,that is as muche to say it cuts stele."
Sir Thomas Malory,Le Morte Darthur.1485
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's going to depend mostly on what you really want to get out of the sword, I think. There's no real "optimal sword" since sword design is inherently contextual.

Theoretically speaking, I assume you'd have to start by deciding what kind of sword you want - that is, what exactly you want it to excel at or what shape, performance and aestetical approach matches your taste and ambition the best, most likely both - then look at what has already been done historically, swords of comparable type, etc, derive from that a design, and if possible perfect that design until the sword reaches optimal performance.

Mind you, such an endevour would require a lot of time and funds, and even then you will probably only end up with the perfect sword for you.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What is the ultimate ideal of swordmakers?Present / Past??
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic