Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A comment about German medieval martial arts. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: A comment about German medieval martial arts.         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone:

First, I want to say the revival of medieval martial arts seems like a miracle and I am glad it is being restored as part of our heritage. Growing up as a kid, I do not recall any pertinent clubs existing. You had Renaissance Fairs and that was all. Now ... I am seriously considering moving to Houston, Texas so I can join the ARMA chapter there.

Anyway ... our community has helped me learn things I've wondered about for years. It has been a very interesting education. Real swordplay was quick and deadly. Some of the "plays" I've seen on DVDs or youtube are breath-taking. It seems like the Germans had the most comprehensive and intelligent curriculum.

I simply want to share that I sense a kind of genius in German medieval martial arts. I see now how the Germans have been smart about martial issues for centuries. From an objective point of view, I have an even deeper appreciation for German military aptitude. After all, they are the ones from whom we have ideas for things like the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I am not sure if I am describing my point properly. The main point is I sense a form of genius in German medieval martial arts. Am I right?

Thank you.

Laughing Out Loud

DUSTIN FAULKNER
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dustin,

It only seems that ways as we were left SO many period manuals about KDF.

The Italian 14th century system is just as effective, they just don't have 60+ manuals to work from like the those who study
the 14th-15th German Art of Fighting.

Don't sell the other period systems short due to the lack of manuals, the little bit of English longsword we have works quite well and the one French poleaxe manual shows a good system, the Scots and the Irish were used as trained troops by many counties but we have nada on their fighting systems.

Cheers,

David ( a KDF guy) Big Grin

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Nathan F

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hey now im irish and there are two remaining stick forms left that are extremely effective, not much else but we do have some.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A comment about German medieval martial arts.         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
Hello Everyone:

First, I want to say the revival of medieval martial arts seems like a miracle and I am glad it is being restored as part of our heritage. Growing up as a kid, I do not recall any pertinent clubs existing. You had Renaissance Fairs and that was all. Now ... I am seriously considering moving to Houston, Texas so I can join the ARMA chapter there.

Laughing Out Loud

It looks like you're within an hour and a half drive of a Meyer Freifechter chapter to your West and ARMA Austin to your East. They both should be able to give you plenty of German KDF to chew on.

http://www.communitywalk.com/THE-HEMA-ALLIANC...ner-Finder

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan F wrote:
hey now im irish and there are two remaining stick forms left that are extremely effective, not much else but we do have some.

There is even a 18th century master of the broadsword who's works are out there, but we don't have any from the 14th or 15th century...

Cheers,

David Teague

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Johann M

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Meh, I prefer Fiore's teachings to that crazy German nonsense Laughing Out Loud Do yourself a favour and don't limit yourself...there's lots to learn and its all good.
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Hi Dustin,

The Italian 14th century system is just as effective, they just don't have 60+ manuals to work from like the those who study

Don't sell the other period systems short due to the lack of manuals, the little bit of English longsword we have works quite well and the one French poleaxe manual shows a good system, the Scots and the Irish were used as trained troops by many counties but we have nada on their fighting systems.

Cheers,

I agree. We have to remember that Europeans had been using swords for 2500 years before somebody set pen to parchment on Royal Armories Ms. I.33. And even with all the sources from the Germanies, we don't know all that much about individual teachers. So there is genius in the teachings of the Liechtenauer tradition (and in the Germans sources in general), but there must have been lots of other smart martial artists who we don't know about.

Its interesting that the oldest manuscript from a region (I.33, Fiore, Le Jeu de la Hache, the English longsword poems, Pietro Monte, the Mameluk training manuals, ...) consistently shows a sophisticated and effective system.
Johann M

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Manning wrote:
David Teague wrote:
Hi Dustin,

Cheers,

I agree. We have to remember that Europeans had been using swords for 2500 years before somebody set pen to parchment on Royal Armories Ms. I.33. And even with all the sources from the Germanies, we don't know all that much about individual teachers. So there is genius in the teachings of the Liechtenauer tradition (and in the Germans sources in general), but there must have been lots of other smart martial artists who we don't know about.

Its interesting that the oldest manuscript from a region (I.33, Fiore, Le Jeu de la Hache, the English longsword poems, Pietro Monte, the Mameluk training manuals, ...) consistently shows a sophisticated and effective system.

Agreed, its good to remember that to celebrate the art it is not required to glorify the region.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A comment about German medieval martial arts.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic