Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 2 viking bare blades for sale Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: 2 viking bare blades for sale         Reply with quote

Back when I started forging out my fullers I had two test blanks that never got completed, so I thought I would put them on the grinder and see how they turned out. As with everything I sell, I stand by my work as being 100% structurally sound. If any problem ever arises I will provide repair or replacement if the blade was not abused. What ever problems the blades have are very minor cosmetic imperfections, hence the reduced price.

The TOP blade is forged from L6, got too wide at the base, and I ended up pushing the fuller out way too much, leaving it with and unusually wide fuller base, too much profile taper, and too acute of a point. However there is still 30inches of cutting awesomeness.

Blade length - 30"
Width at shoulders - 2.3"
Tang - 6"
Weight - 1lb. 4oz.
Cost - $500, please inquire if you would be interested in basic fittings.

The BOTTOM blade is forged from W2, and is actually darn near perfect. there is a small area in the middle of the fuller that has the texture of decarb. slightly mucking up the finish.

Blade length - 30.25"
Width at shoulders - 2.2"
Tang - 5.5"
Weight - 1lb. 4oz.
Cost - $575, please inquire if you would be interested in basic fittings.

Please get in touch if you have any questions or need additional pictures.

Also $75 per blade will be donated straight to myArmoury.

Attachment: 65.82 KB
DSCN0697.JPG
Flaw on Top blade

Attachment: 181.01 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 144.5 KB
Tip of Top blade [ Download ]

Attachment: 156.08 KB
Tip of Bottom blade [ Download ]
Toke Krebs Niclasen

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They look beautiful.

I just don't see how to fit it.
It looks like the fuller extend down the tang, but is still thinner than the tang.
How is one supposed to get the guard over the tang without leaving a gap at the fuller?

(Perhaps silly question, but I have just had big trouble with hilting a dagger.)
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Bottom blade is sold Payment pending.

As for hilting, the guards had an open gap where the fuller meets the guard to allow for enough room for removing the guard if needed.

Also is offering up blades that have cosmetic defect for a reduced price something that the myArmoury community feels is acceptable?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
The Bottom blade is sold Payment pending.

As for hilting, the guards had an open gap where the fuller meets the guard to allow for enough room for removing the guard if needed.

Also is offering up blades that have cosmetic defect for a reduced price something that the myArmoury community feels is acceptable?

I don't see why not when the flaw is shown and stated up front, the price is reduced to reflect the flaw and the buyer either accepts the flaw as something they can live with or it might not even bother them much or at all.

As a maker you certainly don't like having a flaw as it doesn't show your best work but the lower price does give some people the opportunity to buy a good sword they couldn't otherwise afford.

Obviously there are limits to what level of flaw(s) you would permit to go out the door of your shop i.e. less than perfect is O.K. to sell as " seconds ". Wink Big Grin

With the difficult economy this also helps keeping you in business and also take economic " chances when attempting something new: The first few pieces might not be what you where aiming for but still good knives or swords, selling these put food on the table and help to finance your experimental work !

In other words, you might make 5 attempts before you got it right to your satisfaction: The first two might have to be scrapped, the next two might be flawed but sellable, the fifth might be almost there but have a small blemish ( flaw) and the number six be what you where trying to get to.

Now if you had to write off all of the time put in making first five you might have to sell the perfect sixth at a much higher price to break even or make a small profit: This way you can afford to do experimental prototypes and then be able to keep the price affordable, for us, and not " starve " and be able to pay the rent. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 2 viking bare blades for sale
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic