Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Something many people have been asking Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Something many people have been asking         Reply with quote

I am on a project that i randomly thought of myself i thought that i would research and draw pictures and i titled it the history of the german soldier and i am now on 16thc and 17thcenturies and i am drawing pictures of regiments which i have no idea how many regiments there were for Germany during the TYW and if they had different suits of armor for each regiment soon i will be on to the 18thcentury which i am also drawing Prussia
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool idea. Here is a basic summary. Germans used full plate all through the 1500s. Around the 1520s-1530s knights would have used Maximilian armour. There are drawings of Landsknechts wearing partial Maximilian armours too, usually just a breastplate and thigh length tassets. Landsknechts used halberds, pikes and Zweihander swords, among other things. The mid 1500s saw a lot of black and white armour. 3/4 harnesses for cavalry and half armours for infantry were common. The helmet was usually a burgonet with a tall comb and a long peaked brim for heavy infantry, and burgonets with buffes and close helmets for the cavalry. Cavalry at this time used a lot of lances, even after guns became commonplace. A lance charge from armoured cavalry was extremely destructive in any time period. Lancers were used to the end of the century. Lighter cavalry and infantry such as pikemen would have worn morions or cabassets and a half-harness at most. Cuirassiers with two pistols (usually wheel-locks) and a sword started to take over at the turn of the century and were used heavily from 1600-1630. Cuirassiers wore 3/4 harnesses with articulated inner elbows, knee-length tassets of many (15-20) separate lames, and close helms/close burgonets. The armour was often blackened with oil or paint. It was somewhat effective against pistol balls, and not very effective against musket fire. After 1640 buff-coats (with or without cuirass and backplates) took over as plate armour was discarded - its protection against shot was no longer enough to justify its extreme weight. Gauntlets were usually worn with the buffcoat. The thick yellow leather was decent protection against swords. Helmets of this time period were usually zischagges or lobster tail pots.

The best thing you can do is just search for pictures of this armour I've described and study it carefully. Search through this photo collection on Flickr - the guy has taken thousands of pictures of armour and arms at many major museums and provided some basic information about all the pieces, usually including dates. Search the collection for the keywords you want. He has a lot of armour from the thirty years war era and many German pieces from all through the 1500s.

Pastime With Good Company
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok maximilian armour i got that but then why do i see them wearing burgonets demi-lancers should be wearing them open faced i dont know when the burgonet was first produced im starting to guess the Knight in Maximilian armour coexisted with the demi lancer possibly im not sure the burgonets i see on the maxim armour is closed not open they might have still used this armour after the demi lancer

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Something many people have been asking
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic