Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > So you want to know how to carve a scottish dirk handle? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: So you want to know how to carve a scottish dirk handle?         Reply with quote

Or maybe you don't... but you really should. I got an email from Mr. Evans about this particular item and I thought I really ought to pass what I found out about it along... I ordered my copy yesterday.

Quote:
The 18th century Scottish dirk with its carved interlace grip is a recognisable piece often worn with historical and traditional Scottish attire. The online tutorial that we created many years ago on how we carve Scottish dirks continues to draw so much interest that we felt the need to do a more in-depth tutorial documenting the subject. This CD will show the methods and tools that we use to carve and mount dirk grips. It documents the project with 243 photos.

http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/carving-scotti...d/12035301

At 20 bucks with free shipping it's sort of hard to go wrong here. I'm hoping that if all you all will order one of these CDs not only will we learn something about making a dirk but also we'll encourage Mr. Evans to do this one more time... except show us the step by step on how to make a sword...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I need isn't a scottish dirk carving course, but a sword grip carving course. Or someone to make me a sword grip. Sad
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
What I need isn't a scottish dirk carving course, but a sword grip carving course. Or someone to make me a sword grip. Sad

I think you'll find the skills learned from one will cross over to the other quite well...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jul, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the head's up!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You beat me to it, Russ. I was waiting on my copy to do a mini review.

In addition to the CD, a book will also be available. You can order it through the same link -- just scroll down to the bottom right hand side of the screen under "More from Vince and Grace Evans". The book is $34.95. According to Vince, the book has 184 photos compared to the CD's 243 photos, but call me old-fashioned, I still like books. For the price, ordering both is the way to go, IMHO.

I'll post more when my copies arrive.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, there are some teaser photos on Vince's website to give an idea of what will be in the book: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/829129 The first 10 photos are for the new book, while the remainder have been out there for a while.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered the CD yesterday. I have a dirk grip chucked in my lathe right now that has been there a couple of years because I could not figure out the next step. This should do it. For some reason I find it difficult to make something with complex lines without having an illustration to go by. Thanks for the tip.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Vince Evans
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope the documentation is thorough enough. Because I have been working in this field for so many years, some steps that seem commonplace to me may have been inadvertently overlooked. If there is a question about a specific step, feel free to ask. There’s not a lot of written instruction on the CD, the title of each image is its description. I did not address the making of the blade as that is a whole process in itself, typically requiring more equipment than the average home workshop would have.

I don’t know how much Lulu charges to ship outside the USA. If international shipping seems too high through Lulu, contact me and I’ll see if I can mail it to you at a lower price. I’ll be keeping a few discs on hand.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: So you want to know how to carve a scottish dirk handle?         Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this Vince. I ordered a copy yesterday and can't wait to get it. I think it will shed a lot of light on some areas I need illuminated.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a thought, in corresponding with Mr. Evans he noted that taking the pictures (they took a LOT more than are on the CD) pretty much doubled the time it took to make the dirk. That makes me think that if you all can it would really be a good idea to order one of these to encourage that sort of effort! Just a thought. I agree with Chris, getting the book sounds like a good plan to. I managed to overlook that there was one! Now I'm going to have to see about ordering that!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the head up, Russ!

I went and ordered both book and DVD straight away.

Vince, thank you for taking the trouble of documenting your work step by step! I´m certain it will be very enjoyable to learn from this tutorial.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad I could point it out to you guys! I figured in this case the messenger wouldn't get shot, and I really did want to put what I have to assume will be a fabulous resource out there for everyone's benefit.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received the CD today. It only had to come about 175 miles as Lulu is based in Chapel Hill, NC.

Any way, it is great! I have reviewed the photos one time and it has already answered a lot of questions for me. The few that are not answered I will list and pose to Mr. Evans. I am now thinking about ordering the book.

Vince, thank you so much for doing that. It is a great resource and, while I doubt I can ever carve a handle as well as you do, I am going to give it a try and see what happens!

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine came in Saturday (sorry about the tardiness of my reply). I would echo Lin's sentiments, it's a very nice collection of phots which shows far more than just carving the handle. Also, Mr. Evan's tools must be ridiculously sharp!

I found myself wishing that the entire process of creating the dirk from start to finish was there, I was so fascinated by the parts that I saw. (that's not a hint or anything... Wink )

Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got my copy of the photos the other day and was very impressed by the quality of the photography as well as the information they capture. Although the carving of the grip was what I was most interested in seeing, I found myself facinated by the metal work. I never really thought about all the steps involved in the grip and scabbard mountings.

After looking at the photos and examining the finished product first hand, I have to say I have a whole new appreciation for the talent and experience that goes into making a Vince Evans dirk!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for unveiling your techniques Mr Evans!

If it deals with scabbards and sabbards mountings on the top of carving how-to, I'm even more interested. Ordered mine today, and for info shipping to Great Britain cost me around 9£.

Cheers,

Julien
Vince Evans
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your feedback on the CD. Your comments will help us to improve on the next documentation that we do.

Would you like to see a caption printed directly on each photo describing what is going on or will that detract from the photo? On this CD the image title is the description.

Do you like the photo CD version or would you prefer to see the process done in book format with captions for each photo? The color photobook that we did this time had specific templates that we had to work within which was limiting. If there is enough interest we would consider re-working the color photobook into a black and white format with captions for each photo, possibly coil-bound to lay flat on a work bench.

Lin, feel free to email me with questions.

Chris, nice subtle comment Wink

Russ, thanks for all of your input.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both are a great idea really. Although I didn't have any trouble understanding the process from the CD as it is; stop cut, bevel, shape, detail, clean up, and finish are well pictured. All I need now is some talent.....and a box of Band Aids. A spiral bound notebook with captions would be a nice addition to my work bench, though.
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vince...

Thanks very much, again, for the CD and book and willingness to help. I have sent a PM and will send another this weekend, outlining some questions.

Lin Robinson

Vince Evans
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I apoligise, apparently the descriptions that I had for the image titles did not transfer to the CD. If anyone who ordered a CD would like the descriptions that should have gone with each photo, please email or pm me with an email address and I’ll get those to you.

We will work on getting that fixed this week.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > So you want to know how to carve a scottish dirk handle?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: