What is the best way to blacken riveted aluminium maille?
I have a riveted aluminium hauberk that I wear when I want to lighten my load when doing faires / period events in lieu of steel. My question is pretty straightforward: How can I blacken, blue, or darken it so it looks a little more like my riveted steel hauberk (which has darkened quite nicely over the years)? To the best of my knowledge, it's not coated with zinc or anything else (as it always stains my hands and clothing black). I'd just like to make it look a little more realistic when I choose to wear it under my kit.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
I used a product called Aluminum Black made by Birchwood Casey on alluminum . The metal has to be very clean and it took reapeated applications but I finally achieved an attractive charcoal gray colour. Its intended for bluing fierarms and is quite expensive ( about $8.00 for 3 oz ) so It might not be feasble for a large project like yours. If you did try it i think application through an airbrush would be best because getting inside all the rings might prove very difficult.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: