Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > THE WINNER: Clontarf Viking Sword Giveaway!Contest Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: contest         Reply with quote

Congratulations Joel!! What an awesome prize! Enjoy it in good health and long life!

Scott
Joe Yurgil

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrads dude, that is one sweet looking sword you have won. I look forward to the stats man! Big Grin
Mike Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dang, Dang, Dang .... I wanted that sword!
(umm, did I type that out loud?)

Congratulations Joel and thanks to myArmoury.com and Albion for making this contest possible!

Regards,

Mike
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on a great sword, Joel!

Dang, guess I'll have to just go out and buy one... Cool (in my dreams)
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Joel!
That is a beauty of a sword and an h**l of an contestprize!

Sheet thy sword and keep it by your side, practice is use in war and be prepared to draw
it so the innocent may live in peace.
Wink
Joel Thompson

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again to all for the congats. I thought I'd share a little info about the original artifact this sword is based upon. This sword is the prestigious weapon that adorns the cover of my favorite sword book, "Swords of the Viking Age" by Ian Pierce and is examined in detail on pages 63-65. For those of you that do not have this wonderful book, this Petersen Type K sword was found in a ditch that drains Ballinderry Bog in Dublin, Ireland. Evidently, the ditch ran through the ruins of a Viking age house. The sword is thought to be from the 9th or 10th century AD. The original bears the "ULFBERHT" and "IXXXI" inscriptions on the blade and a "HILTIPREHT" inscription on the hilt which may indicate that the blade was imported from "Frankish Europe" and hilted in Norway. The pommel and hilt of this sword are encased in silver and elaborately decorated with a "highly-stylized vine pattern" which leads to the assumption that this was no ordinary warrior's sword. This sword along with a number of other very similar Type K swords found in Ireland and Norway, are thought to have been crafted in Norway. As a wealthy, gnarly, old Viking warrior I'll try to do justice to this blade. There's a test cutting session coming up soon.

Joel (Ragnarr) Thompson
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Joel ! pics please!!
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Thompson wrote:
Thanks again to all for the congats. I thought I'd share a little info about the original artifact this sword is based upon. This sword is the prestigious weapon that adorns the cover of my favorite sword book, "Swords of the Viking Age" by Ian Pierce and is examined in detail on pages 63-65. For those of you that do not have this wonderful book, this Petersen Type K sword was found in a ditch that drains Ballinderry Bog in Dublin, Ireland. Evidently, the ditch ran through the ruins of a Viking age house. The sword is thought to be from the 9th or 10th century AD. The original bears the "ULFBERHT" and "IXXXI" inscriptions on the blade and a "HILTIPREHT" inscription on the hilt which may indicate that the blade was imported from "Frankish Europe" and hilted in Norway. The pommel and hilt of this sword are encased in silver and elaborately decorated with a "highly-stylized vine pattern" which leads to the assumption that this was no ordinary warrior's sword. This sword along with a number of other very similar Type K swords found in Ireland and Norway, are thought to have been crafted in Norway. As a wealthy, gnarly, old Viking warrior I'll try to do justice to this blade. There's a test cutting session coming up soon.

Joel (Ragnarr) Thompson

And the pic...
ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Erica Reynolds

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: contest winner         Reply with quote

WAY TO GO DAD!!!!! Can you pass some of that good luck down this way?!?!?! Send me some pictures via e mail or snail mail...preferably snail mail so I can put them in my scrapbook!!

Brat

P.s. can I have one of those for Christmas? Big Grin

Life is too short to play with daggers!
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats! I've handled a Clontarf, and it is really nice!
My sword site
Henry C. Frederick

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Most excellent Viking sword!         Reply with quote

Congratulations on winning such a fine sword Joel. Welcome to the ceiling cutters club.
Remember the ol' Prune Barge! (the USS California)
S. Bjelke

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
One result of this contest - there are now a whole lot of forum members with one post.

Was hoping that would sort of be a "breaking of the ice" for them. We'll see...

In fact it is! I am newcomer to the world of swords, and is curently just reading a lot and "sucking" up all the info I can. So just because I don't post that much don't mean that I am less of a swords enthusiast then any other begginer. It just means that I need some time to get into this comunity.

Congratulations with the sword Joel! A real beauty it is!

One night I will take my longboat and fifty of my best men, travel across the big lake and take back what is originally mine!

Best wishes from
-Simen Bjelke, Norway
David House

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Idea

Lessee...is it Plunder, then Pillage...or Pillage...then Plunder?...whichever, you have the steel...now do the deeds...that our ancestors may find you worthy...congrats...great looking sword..but how does it cut?...we await your illumination...David, Son of David

David...to live for the one...to die for the ONE
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

S. Bjelke wrote:
In fact it is! I am newcomer to the world of swords, and is curently just reading a lot and "sucking" up all the info I can. So just because I don't post that much don't mean that I am less of a swords enthusiast then any other begginer. It just means that I need some time to get into this comunity.

This is really good feedback here. We have so many more consistent visitors to the entire site than we do registered members, so I'm glad people are reading what we're doing. I just want to always make sure we don't give newcomers an impression of feeling afraid to contribute or become a member.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kenneth W. Chenault

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Joel! May it be a piece of quality steel that you can pass down to that little Viking on your hip.
John Carstarphen

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Viking Sword         Reply with quote

All Right!!

Congratulations! Probaly as well, as my ancesters were more on the receiving end of Viking Swords. Enjoy.

John Carstarphen AKA Craggwolf

John Carstarphen
SFC AUS Retired
"Essayons"
Hyle Owens

PostPosted: Mon 16 Aug, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Joe you lucky sob Big Grin
Hyle Owens
Shane Smith

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got to handle Joel's new blade last sunday at our test-cutting session on the Eastern Shore of VA. It was a fairly impressive cutter and feels quite good in the hand. Joel demonstrated his theory on how to properly cut with a tight-gripped viking sword and it seemed effective and efficient to employ this type of weapon in that way.He and I both did some good cutting with it. I continue to prefer later "knightly" patterns, but I must admit to being impressed with the Big Guy's new toy(It looks absolutely tiny in his huge paws Laughing Out Loud )
Shane Smith
ARMA~ Virginia Beach
Joel Thompson

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Clontarf Pics         Reply with quote

Shane and I both have pics of the Clontarf. We'll post them shortly. I have to figure out how to get mine out of a foreign computer. Pics online from Wal-mart. Bad idea. Just get the disc.

Joel
Joel Thompson

PostPosted: Mon 18 Oct, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I replied to this earlier, but it never showed up. I guess I wasn't holding my head right or something. Here goes again. I've attached a photo of the Clontarf making a nice cut through a carboard carpet tube. I'm using what I believe to be the proper grip on a Viking sword, based on the design of the handle and pommel. A fairly rigid grip keeping the sword at about 90 degrees from the forearm. With this grip, I was able to cut very well as you can see in the picture. I also did the same cut with my Del Tin 2102 Viking blade with the same results. I could cut all the way through the tube if I changed and used a more modern grip as used with later period swords, however the pommel digs into your palm and is very uncomfortable. Especially for extended use.
The Clontarf cuts very nicely. If you just hold the sword in your hand and move it around a bit, you want to say it's a bit blade heavy. But when you swing it, it moves very smoothly. It wants to cut. A very nice piece. Beautiful craftsmanship and functional as well. Top honors in my collection.
More pics of the Clontarf to come. This is just a teaser.

Joel

Attachment: 117.01 KB
Clontarf.jpg

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > THE WINNER: Clontarf Viking Sword Giveaway!Contest
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: