Making a Targe
I have been working on a simple targe for my brother and it is time to mount the boss and the leather around the rim. I was going to use some sort of hex screws that would look stylish but that would not scream screws, however they look way too modern. I have never used rivets before and I'm not against learning I just don't want to spend a lot on equipment. Any advice? The only thing is that I'm afraid to use nails especially on the boss, I want the boss to be nice and secure.

Thanks,

Moses
Nails were used historically (for use in combat) so I wouldn't worry about the security of that construction for your purposes. They'll be fine. If they're long enough you could clinch them and then there's no way they'll come out. Get brass tacks and nails here: http://www.matoska.com/cgibin/gencat.cgi?AC=g...=68%2CNULL

As I recall, the layers of the targe are secured by wooden pegs (and glue, I assume).
I'll recommend a pattern and instructions developed by Jason Pate, a friend and master leather worker based in St. Paul Minnesota. Sadly (for us local reenactors), his interests have recently migrated from medieval to western six-gun shooting.

Check out Celtic Targe By Jason Pate
Thank you very much.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: