Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Question regarding Atlantean construction Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Question regarding Atlantean construction         Reply with quote

I picked up a Conan Atlantean blade in the moat sale a while back and have a quick question regarding the construction of the Albion version. Patrick states in his review that Daniels Engraving did the runes on the ricasso. Does anyone know which bronze foundry was used for the hilt and pommel?

Thanks,

Ryan
Rob Stanford

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: MOAT         Reply with quote

No - I don't. But I would talk to this guy, and look at this...

http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...read=17190

Cheers,

Rob
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I worked extensively with these swords when I was at Albion. Initially the engraving was done by electrode by Daniels. This turned out to not be the best alternative cost and labor wise. This was prior to me working there. Stephen Fisher ultimately generated a CAD/CNC plan for the engraving and that was how it was done on most of the Atlanteans and all of the Destroyer swords(Father's swords as well). I can't remember the foundry that was used at the time of my employment but I do recall that Albion went thru a couple foundries before settling on one in particular. I believe they were in California.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a " crazy idea " and it may not be a good one ....... but maybe buying a cheap knock off Conan sword repro like the one by Marto ( I think their are the ones who make a version of the Conan movie sword ) and taking of the cheap blade and replacing it with Albion moat sale blade and create a Franken-Conan-sword or a " MARBION ". Wink Razz Question

A lot would depend on the quality of the Bronze hilt pieces to make this worth while ?

Another idea might be to create a Conan styled sword but with an original casting of a similar style but of original design i.e. the Son of Conan sword or the sword of his less well known second cousin CUMIN !

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumin )

Sorry, couldn't resist mixing in a bit of joking as well as a serious if of dubious value suggestion. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your responses.

Rob Stanford wrote:
No - I don't. But I would talk to this guy, and look at this...

Wow, that’s quite a nice finished piece! It looks as if he does his own casting as well. As there is another copy on his website with a non-Albion blade, I assume he already had a self-made mold for the hilt. http://bronzebyjeffreyjrobinson.com/customblades.html

I’ll have to drop him an email. I haven’t been to the States yet to collect the blade, but as far as I can tell from the pictures it is in the same state with the rough shaping of the fuller and hollow grind competed. It’s encouraging to know how well these can turn out with a lot of hours of sanding – or perhaps just banging it against a rock a couple of times until all the rust falls off!

B. Stark wrote:
I worked extensively with these swords when I was at Albion. Initially the engraving was done by electrode by Daniels. This turned out to not be the best alternative cost and labor wise. This was prior to me working there. Stephen Fisher ultimately generated a CAD/CNC plan for the engraving and that was how it was done on most of the Atlanteans and all of the Destroyer swords(Father's swords as well). I can't remember the foundry that was used at the time of my employment but I do recall that Albion went thru a couple foundries before settling on one in particular. I believe they were in California.

That’s great to know that there were multiple sources. Alas there appears to be a foundry on every corner in Ca. Why couldn’t it have been South Dakota?! In any case I will probably do likewise and just go with the best deal I can find in terms of price and quality. There’s a place here in the UK that has done hilts for “Troy” and the Ridley Scott films, so they are probably worth a try. http://www.devonmetalcrafts.co.uk/film-props.html

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just a " crazy idea " and it may not be a good one ....... but maybe buying a cheap knock off Conan sword repro like the one by Marto ( I think their are the ones who make a version of the Conan movie sword ) and taking of the cheap blade and replacing it with Albion moat sale blade and create a Franken-Conan-sword or a " MARBION ". Wink Razz Question
A lot would depend on the quality of the Bronze hilt pieces to make this worth while ?
Another idea might be to create a Conan styled sword but with an original casting of a similar style but of original design i.e. the Son of Conan sword or the sword of his less well known second cousin CUMIN !

I’m thinking of doing just those two things! The castings for the standard Epic Edition Atlantean appear to be fairly detailed from what I can see online, although it is only bronze plated. The Special Edition is actually solid bronze, but it’s half the price of a used Albion so there’s really no point. It might be cheaper to have the Epic Edition hilt recast in solid bronze. Does anyone know whether the Marto swords have a screw-on pommel or how difficult it is to disassemble them?

The first thought I had when I bought the blade was actually to make a Conan the Librarian hilt. I’ve got a rough idea of what it might look like: fierce looking bookworms, maybe a scroll or codex with “No pen is mightier than this” written on it. I still hope to do this and will therefore use a threaded construction so that the hilt can be changed, but that is another story…
Christian Schlemmer

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, talk to Jeffrey Robinson.

He is an awesome guy to work with and the quality of his bronze is incredible.

By the way: I am the luck guy who own his version of the Atlantean sword and his version of the Father sword

These swords are incredible. They are not 100 % spot on as the Albion ones (I own these too) but are much more lighter !! They only weight half as much as the Albions and are real great swords. Jeffrey is the man when it comes to bronze work. I am sure he is more than willing to cast some hilt parts for your Conan blade.

If I could be of any help let me know.

Best wishes,
Christian

Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt
-Hope dies Last-

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Question regarding Atlantean construction
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic